Chapter 7: Some Act To Get Paid, While You Act for Your Life

Although it might not have been fair for Shinji to use suggestion magecraft on Shirou without informing him, the results of the shot were exceptional.

Despite a couple of lines that weren't quite right, Shinji decided to include the scene in the final cut.

Afterwards, Shinji adjusted the camera angle to capture Illya's threatening scene with Shirou from an upward angle.

Using an upward angle would emphasize Illya's absolute dominance in this scene and create a sense of oppression for the audience.

In reality, different camera angles evoke different feelings in the audience. This was a lesson that Shinji had emphasized during his studies in Hollywood.

While the film industry in this world wasn't highly developed, the creative process for movies progressed rapidly. Many shooting techniques that became popular after 2010 in other places were already in vogue here.

Thankfully, Shinji's theoretical filming techniques were quite advanced, allowing him to mentally simulate how many classic scenes should be shot.

Of course, that was in theory.

Making a movie was far from a simple task; actual execution required immense patience and attention to detail.

After concluding the scene where Illya threatened Shirou, the dialogue scenes in Einzbern Castle were finished, leaving only the action scenes to be filmed.

The dialogue scenes set the upper limit for a movie's quality, while the action scenes set the lower limit.

This statement might not apply to all movies, but it certainly applied to most commercial blockbusters.

For these types of films, no matter how deep the plot, they couldn't ignite the average person's passion for watching. It was the action and special effects that drew audiences into the theaters to watch on the big screen. This was something that many film artists sneered at, while for the directors of commercial movies, it was what mattered most.

Wonder Woman 1984 attempted to evoke inner love with its touching themes, but most viewers remained unaffected. Godzilla vs. Kong lacked depth but left audiences exhilarated, winning over countless viewers.

In a commercial blockbuster, what mattered most was that the audience enjoyed it. Only when the audience was thoroughly entertained would they become interested in the film.

Especially for the Fate/stay night film that Shinji was currently shooting, action scenes were the foundation and backbone of the entire movie. The thrilling battles between the Heroic Spirits were the biggest selling point of the Fate series, and Shinji had meticulously designed this aspect. It wasn't just about fixed shots of two Heroic Spirits fighting on screen.

Meaningless and poorly-paced fights were less exciting than well-edited brawls between melons.

It should be noted that the combat skills between Heroic Spirits were not for show. They could fight well, but that didn't necessarily translate into good-looking fights.

During filming, Shinji would attempt to control all elements in the frame to ensure the action was watchable.

To facilitate editing, he would sometimes use both open and closed set shooting methods, where the same action was filmed twice—once in an outdoor location and once in a studio.

For every action scene, Shinji would go through multiple rehearsals and test shots to find the most suitable approach and achieve the best effect.

Since the Heroic Spirits had good martial arts backgrounds, they could execute the actions exactly as Shinji envisioned. As a result, the action scenes aimed to showcase the full range of the Heroic Spirits, presenting their most impressive aspects to the audience. Shinji didn't resort to numerous close-up shots to hide any shortcomings in the actors' physical abilities.