Chapter 19: Reaching an Agreement

Despite his frustration, thankfully, Kariya understood the meaning in Shinji's eyes.

"Udagawa-san."

Kariya stood up to mediate, "Shinji is just sharing his ideas, and we can take our time to discuss. If Udagawa-san needs more time to make a decision, feel free to think it over."

"I understand."

Nao nodded slightly.

Matters concerning the company's overall strategy weren't something she could decide on her own.

"I will report back to my superiors about the situation, and as for what happens next..."

"I'll wait for your good news."

Shinji stood up and shook hands with Nao with a smile.

"However, I'd like to remind you that our preconceived Japanese distributor isn't limited to just Bandai."

In response to Shinji's implication, Nao sneered, "Didn't Toho already turn you down?"

"Well, we still have Toei to consider~"

Shinji chuckled; with his thick skin, he wasn't about to show any vulnerability.

Nao shook her head in resignation, closed her notebook, and got up, leading her team to leave.

Shinji courteously saw the Bandai team off, not showing any intention of trying to retain them.

Once Shinji returned to the meeting room, Kariya eagerly approached him.

"Shinji, you're quite ambitious. Have you thought about the possibility that the Japanese box office might not meet expectations? Even with a revenue share, you might not earn back 500 million yen."

As per industry norms, a film production company's share of the box office typically ranged from 60% to 85%. But given Shinji's situation, he certainly wouldn't get the best deal, and getting 70% would be a blessing.

While it sounded great, many additional expenses would be factored into the revenue share, like marketing costs, copy fees, taxes... These would be deducted from the revenue share.

No wonder film distributors, regardless of the country or region, sat at the top of the industry's food chain.

Given the current state of Japan's film industry, for Shinji to earn more than 500 million yen from the revenue share, FSN's Japanese box office needed to exceed at least 1.8 billion yen. For most tokusatsu films, this box office figure was nearly unattainable.

Facing Kariya's questioning, Shinji merely shrugged his shoulders.

"Because I believe that Fate is worth much more than this."

"But what you need right now is a distributor!" Kariya earnestly reminded him. "As a newcomer, you're asking for too much."

"If Bandai can't do it, we'll find other partners."

Shinji took out his phone from his pocket and waved it around.

〔Tell me, are you my Master?〕

Coincidentally, Shinji's phone rang.

Ignoring Kariya's puzzled gaze, Shinji answered the call.

A polite and familiar male voice came from the other end of the line.

"Director Matou, this is Hata Keigo."

"Team Leader Hata, is there something you need?"

"I'm truly sorry. Despite my efforts to advocate within the company, however..."