Chapter 35: Causing Problem again

Derek Ford's mention of undressing, of course, didn't refer to female actresses bribing judges with their bodies but rather his complaint about the increasing number of nudity scenes in current European art films.

After all, European art films... those in the know understand.

Although there were genuinely artistic films like "Roma," the current environment featured more films that claimed to be art but mainly showcased "female nudity art."

"Hmph, a carnival of demons."

Rin let out a cold snort, as a girl, she disliked such situations.

"I don't know if these people can win awards," Shinji quipped, wiggling a finger, "but they at least manage to secure the lead actress role just by undressing."

"You can be quite tactless."

Rin, who had set aside her book, continued, "It seems our Director Matou is determined to change the entertainment industry's current situation. Perhaps he wants to win an award with his own film to show them?"

Upon hearing this, Shinji slapped his thigh and burst into a nearly maniacal laugh.

"Win an award? For what?"

From the criticism that had already ripped through the ground from the Japanese side, Shinji knew how unfavorably FSN was viewed by film critics. As someone who had no inclination for self-flagellation, Shinji had no intention of humiliating himself at the film festival.

So, FSN only applied for a screening and didn't participate in the competition section.

You see, applying for awards costs money, and Shinji wasn't going to waste money applying for awards for FSN when there was practically a 0.00001% chance of winning. That would be like giving money away to the savvy French.

Rin, feeling a bit puzzled by Shinji's eccentric behavior, and Kariya, who had been in the film industry for a long time, understood Shinji's thoughts.

"Our FSN is only for screening, and it's not related to the awards," Kariya explained to Rin before turning to Shinji. "But Shinji, you've probably seen the list of films competing this year, right? With your director's eye, who do you think is most likely to win the Palme d'Or?"

"Palme d'Or?" Shinji shook his head. "I have no idea."

This was Shinji's honest answer. He genuinely didn't know who might win the Palme d'Or this year.

If it were last year's 55th Cannes Film Festival, Shinji would have bet on Roman Polanski's "The Pianist" without hesitation. That film was just too famous, and even people with a slight interest in movies would know about the film that had won numerous awards worldwide.

As for this year's 56th Cannes...

Sorry, but Shinji's memory didn't leave much of an impression about it.

The only thing Shinji remembered about this film festival was that the former "The Matrix Reloaded" had participated in the screening as a non-competitive entry.

But in this world, Shinji didn't even know if "The Matrix" film series existed on paper.

With the end of the red carpet ceremony, the Cannes Film Festival officially began.

Since they had Waver, a trustworthy assistant, helping with the preparation for FSN's screening, Shinji himself had relatively little work to do once the festival started.

So, with some free time on his hands, Shinji decided to wander around the film festival to experience a world-class film festival firsthand.

Unfortunately, during this year's Cannes Film Festival, Shinji couldn't find any movies he was familiar with, leaving him somewhat disappointed.