Chapter 40: Going Back

As the 56th Cannes Film Festival came to a close, the promotional team for Fate/Stay Night, which Shinji was a part of, received an invitation to the closing ceremony from the organizers.

Unlike the lackluster opening ceremony, the roaring success of Fate/Stay Night during the film festival exhibition made the organizers pay a lot of attention to the crew.

The staff who brought the invitation to Shinji and his team were very respectful.

The stark difference in attitude before and after this success made Shinji truly realize the ever-changing nature of the entertainment industry.

For the sake of Fate/Stay Night's promotion, Shinji didn't engage in any provocative or embarrassing behavior that is often seen in light novels.

Instead, he attended the closing ceremony of the film festival with Waver and Rin.

However, for Shinji, the closing ceremony was as boring as the opening ceremony.

Apart from the host's special thanks to Fate/Stay Night for adding luster to the festival, there was nothing that could capture Shinji's attention.

As for the award ceremony, where grand prizes might be won, Shinji and his Fate/Stay Night team were just spectators.

Unlike the Oscars, where a single film could sweep the awards, the Cannes Film Festival's jury preferred to spread the awards around, with very few films dominating the awards.

But what did that have to do with Shinji?

Fate/Stay Night wasn't going to win any awards, and Shinji didn't know any of the nominated films.

Throughout the ceremony, Shinji felt that he'd have been better off sleeping in his hotel room.

If he had to choose, Shinji believed that the closing film was much more interesting than the closing ceremony.

At least, it was Charlie Chaplin's classic film "Modern Times."

After enduring what felt like imprisonment at the closing ceremony, the 56th Cannes Film Festival officially ended. Shinji, who had successfully completed his mission, could finally go home with a smile on his face.

In the days that followed, Shinji and Waver participated in more negotiations, reaching agreements with more overseas distributors.

Even though the Time Group had a strong global distribution network, there were regions it couldn't cover, notably Asia, where local film markets often didn't favor imported films, believing their own productions were superior.

Shinji then reflected on his journey. He had learned that even in a world where film critics were not enthusiastic about a film, the enthusiasm of the audience could drive its success. He also noticed the emergence of a trend in the film industry towards special effects films, a trend he was proud to have initiated.

Despite some distributors not being interested in Fate/Stay Night, Shinji's efforts had already paid off, as the revenue from selling the movie through buyouts far exceeded the production costs.

Shinji came to understand the unpredictability of the entertainment industry, and he was content with the success he had achieved.

As they returned to Japan, Shinji received a warm welcome from his family, including his younger sister Illya, who was excited about his return. She asked, "Onii-chan, Shinji is coming back today, right?"

Emiya Shirou, holding Illya's hand, looked a bit helpless as he pressed the doorbell.

"Of course, , we're going to celebrate tonight as a family for Shinji's return after selling the film at a good price in Cannes."