Chapter 42: New Project: Fate/Zero

Choosing Fate/Zero as his second film was actually a last resort.

In the current situation where FSN was gaining popularity, making a second film based on the Fate series to ride the wave and consolidate their popularity was the safest choice.

However, despite the many stories in the Type-Moon Fate series, not many were suitable for a film at this time.

The first to be discarded were the other two routes of FSN. Shinji was clear that their new work needed to ride on the success of FSN but not entirely depend on it.

FSN hadn't yet reached the point where they needed to rehash the same story.

Among the remaining Fate stories, apart from the FGO rabbit hole, most of the works under the Fate label were either trying to ride the popularity of FSN or the popularity of works riding FSN's popularity.

These works were often aimed at hardcore fans and had a high entry threshold, making them unsuitable for a mainstream audience.

This situation was partly due to the nature of the Type-Moon fan circle and a lack of coordinated commercial planning for the Fate IP, which had ultimately resulted in chaos.

After careful consideration by Shinji, there were only three Fate stories that could be used at the moment: "The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II," "Fate/hollow ataraxia," and "Fate/Apocrypha."

Shinji first ruled out his debut work, "The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II." Regardless of the excessive number of characters, problematic script, or the confusing parallel world setting, it made this work unsuitable for a release at this stage.

The second one to be ruled out was Fate/hollow ataraxia (Fha).

The reason was quite simple: the story itself wasn't suitable for adaptation into a movie.

Fha's story was too scattered, designed with a structure that revolved around minor events, which suited a game's design.

You couldn't say that Fha lacked a main storyline, but its disjointed nature was more like the one in "Carnival."

Apart from the personal route at the end, the other routes only briefly glanced at his tragic fate.

A story structured like Fha could be adapted into a film, but Shinji believed that a TV series format was more suitable for this story.

In this light, Fate/Zero as a prequel to FSN became the only feasible option among the many choices.

Of course, Shinji didn't need to tell everyone in the office about his choice of material. He just needed to show them the final decision.

"I've already written the concept for the new movie in the proposal. Take a look, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask."

As he distributed the proposal to everyone present, Shinji also reminded the Heroic Spirits who didn't have acting roles, "Although you won't be playing major roles, you'll still be involved in the shooting. You might work as stand-ins and members of the film crew."

"Shinji Matou, you can be more direct," EMIYA said, sounding annoyed. "Just call us extras."

"Well, calling you guys doesn't sound very nice," Shinji said, a little embarrassed, scratching his nose.

In response to Shinji's dual role as an actor and director, EMIYA just gave a cold smile.

Pretending not to notice EMIYA's expression, Shinji turned his head away, feeling a bit guilty.

"Uh, is the main character in this new movie Saber again?" Sakura, who had looked over the proposal, raised an eyebrow. "Onii-sama, you really have a thing for her."