Chapter 34: Who Said Serious People Walk the Red Carpet?

Meeting Cloris right after getting off the plane was certainly not a good start for Shinji Matou.

However, Shinji didn't put his energy into the wealthy woman; instead, he focused on the film festival. To ensure that his work wouldn't be delayed, Shinji had chosen to arrive in France a few days early.

With some time left before the festival's opening, Shinji's first impression of Cannes was that of a beautiful and tranquil seaside town. However, he didn't have the opportunity to explore the beaches or strike up conversations with girls. After overcoming jet lag in just a day, he and Waver completed the final registration process for FSN.

Then Shinji experienced what a mature and large-scale commercial film festival was like.

During the registration process, Shinji did only three things: pay, pay, and pay. Whether it was for the staff badges, film promotional materials, or theater rentals, the expenses were substantial, almost rivaling the promotional costs for FSN during its first week in Japan.

People in the industry had always said that money was the basic key to unlock the world of filmmaking, and now Shinji truly understood why. From commissioning the festival's designated partners to create film posters to renting screening rooms, the costs Shinji incurred were well above the normal rates. It felt like he was buying bottled water at tourist attractions in his previous life.

Even the cheapest badges cost Shinji a whopping 1,200 euros each. Due to Shinji's relatively unknown status in the international film market, he was only eligible for the lowest-tier badges, which meant queuing up for film screenings and standing at the back during press conferences. In contrast, industry bigwigs enjoyed higher-level badges that not only allowed them to skip lines but also provided various privileges.

However, the processing fee for such documents is also higher, I heard it costs nearly ten thousand euros.

This made Shinji sigh. These French people are really clever; they know how to fleece the rich.

In fact, compared to other newcomers attending the film festival, the FSN crew has spent relatively less, thanks to the meticulous planning of Waver, who brought an old man from England to lead them.

Thanks to this person named Derek Ford, a veteran in the industry, Shinji saved a lot of unwarranted expenses.

Just hearing the name might make everyone feel unfamiliar, but his portrayal of Bernard Woolley in the "Yes, Minister" series is well-known, even though this old man with a wrinkled face has transformed from a "little angel" into an "old angel" by now.

In this Nasuverse world, Derek Ford is not only an actor but also a magus of the Clock Tower.

The more Shinji understands this world, the more he feels that the current somewhat strange entertainment industry is a reflection of someone's personal preferences.

What can be preserved intact are basically the types the other party likes, such as tokusatsu dramas, horror movies, carrot-type animation, and various English dramas.

Not only is there the most classic version of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," but even "Yes, Minister," this intangible cultural heritage, has survived.

Shinji himself is very happy about this; he has liked "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" for two lifetimes.

Unfortunately, Sir Humphrey, the actor who played Shinji's favorite character, passed away in 2001, which is a great regret for Shinji.

"Sir Hawthorne is the most dedicated actor I've ever seen. Even after a season of TV series is finished, he can still recite all the lines word for word."