Chapter 14: The Disliked Old Man

Seeing this suddenly appearing grandfather-grandchild pair in front of him, Shinji's lips twitched slightly.

Due to the enigmatic fading of this spacetime, the head of the Aozaki family was not a magus, but his status in the Japanese magecraft world was still very high, belonging to the top tier.

Of course, just as famous as his transcendent status was his old-fashioned attitude towards magecraft.

The story of how he drove his talented heir (Aozaki Touko) out of the family due to differing philosophies was known to everyone in the Japanese magecraft world.

However, compared to this conservative and stern old man, Shinji was more interested in the woman behind him.

After all, a pretty girl was definitely more eye-catching than a wrinkled old man, not to mention that she was one of the "Four Main Heroine of Type-Moon."

In contrast to Shinji's image of being lively and even a bit unreliable, the woman following behind her grandfather exuded an elegant and dignified demeanor.

Perhaps it was due to the fact that the Aozaki patriarch hadn't died, and he had kept her by his side for guidance.

Perhaps sensing Shinji's gaze, the woman squinted her eyes and smiled sweetly at him.

Shinji also returned a friendly smile and greeted her.

"Hello..."

Before Shinji could finish his sentence, the Aozaki patriarch moved sideways, positioning himself between Shinji and the woman, as if he were some sort of harmful bacteria.

"..."

Shinji's eyebrows twitched slightly. He remained silent and just lifted his wine glass.

On the other side, the head of the Aozaki family completely treated Shinji as air. He didn't even spare him a glance, directly greeting Zouken.

"Lord Matou, it's been a while."

Zouken nodded slightly. "Lord Aozaki, I hope you're still in good health."

"Of course." Lord Aozaki answered expressionlessly. "Those disrespectful and unfilial brats who tarnish the path of magecraft are still alive. How could I die before them?"

Shinji, who was in the midst of drinking, stopped and put down his glass, looking up at the old man in front of him.

He felt like he was being roasted.

It was as if Lord Aozaki only just noticed him now. He looked down at Shinji with a gaze that made him very uncomfortable.

"Are you... Zouken's grandson, Shinji Matou? You seem young and promising."

"Thank you for your kind words, Lord Aozaki."

Shinji's words were polite and even somewhat courteous.

He wasn't a fool and could naturally sense that Lord Aozaki's words carried some other meaning. It definitely wasn't the tone a respected elder would use when praising a promising junior.

"Of course, it's not praise. You are one of the most talented young magus I've seen. The article you published in the Clock Tower journal about suggestive magecraft, and your understanding of the essence of magecraft in it, left me amazed."

"You're too kind."

Shinji gave an awkward yet polite smile, unsure if the other party was deliberately mocking him.

That paper was quite watered down. Although the viewpoints and theoretical practices in the paper were from Shinji's hands, the writing and theoretical exposition sections were mostly done by Waver.