CHAPTER 39

Chapter 39: The Dreamy Vacation Villa

In the face of Mu Sheng's straightforward rejection, the "businessman" was momentarily taken aback.

Seeing the assistant and lawyer beside him hesitate to speak, he didn't show any anger. Instead, he patiently asked,

"Why? Is it because you don't like me that you don't want me to stay?"

With the "businessman's" question, that inexplicable voice once again whispered in young Mu Sheng's ear, tempting him:

"Just let the businessman stay here, and your perilous childhood will change.

You will have a happy childhood.

Someone will shelter you and lead you forward."

Mu Sheng's eyes remained calm, showing no signs of being moved; he was even more certain:

This inexplicable thing that could read people's memories—the "beautiful dream"—couldn't completely know or understand the thoughts of the dream's owner.

It viewed the owner's memories like a movie, seeing the beginning, the development, and the conclusion.

But it could not delve into the details of the owner's thoughts and psychological activities; no matter how comprehensive, it was merely an observer.

This "beautiful dream" was probably generated based on the player's life experiences, selecting significant turning points from their life to create a "new movie."

From the current developments, the owner in this dream could choose to act differently from history, thereby changing the tragedies in their memory.

Unfortunately, the important turning point it selected for itself was not appropriate.

This "beautiful dream" would undoubtedly require some cost.

Mu Sheng had no intention of following the rhythm of that unknown entity.

The little boy raised his head, his smile sweet and his trembling eyelashes giving off a sense of shyness.

Mu Sheng rejected the "businessman" again, saying, "My place is very... not suitable for uncle to stay here. I will prepare myself; uncle can come to pick me up next time."

The lawyer, who had children at home, saw Mu Sheng's red face and evasive gaze, and thought he completely understood Mu Sheng's feelings.

He explained to the "businessman" tactfully, "Your living environment differs from here. No matter how well-behaved a child is, they have their own sense of pride. Mu Sheng would feel embarrassed."

The assistant provided a way out, addressing Mu Sheng: "Your... uncle doesn't dislike the place you live; he just respects your decision."

"I know, Mu Sheng actually likes our boss."

Mu Sheng kept his head down, not speaking, his small hands nervously squeezing each other, appearing to accept the lawyer's words, the picture of a shy child.

The "businessman" remained silent for a long time during this period, with no one else speaking.

The entire world felt as if it had hit the pause button, eerily quiet.

Even the noisy chirping of insects outside abruptly ceased.

If Mu Sheng had looked up at that moment, he would have seen the old dean and the three others, who had been chatting and laughing just moments ago, suddenly frozen in place, their faces still bearing incomplete smiles.

The scene felt like some kind of wax museum exhibit.

After a while, the "businessman" broke the silence, asking Mu Sheng, "Is what he said true? Do you like me?"