CHAPTER 49

Chapter 49: Dream Holiday Villa

Mu Sheng stared at the man for a moment before turning his gaze to the window. The passerby from earlier was still there, seemingly determined to wait for a response from Mu Sheng.

With a subtle shake of his head, Mu Sheng signaled to the unfortunate person who had caught the wrong kind of attention. The man outside gave a regretful smile before reluctantly leaving, casting a few lingering glances as he walked away.

The man seated across from Mu Sheng placed an exquisitely crafted box in front of him, then pulled out a chair and sat down. He casually ordered a cup of coffee before speaking, "I brought you a gift from my business trip to France. See if you like it."

From the moment he sat down, the man had not so much as glanced at the passerby who had tried to approach Mu Sheng, as if the man outside simply didn't exist. But Mu Sheng knew the truth. By tomorrow, that passerby would die in a horrific "accident." The brutality of his death, combined with the killer's meticulous and cruel methods, would make the front page of local newspapers, sparking widespread fear and discussion throughout the city.

The killer was none other than the mature, handsome man seated across from him, whose demeanor exuded sophistication and a certain romantic allure. The reason for the murder was both absurd and chilling—the victim had merely been seen by this man and had the audacity to ask for Mu Sheng's contact information.

Mu Sheng glanced at the black rectangular velvet box. He likely already knew what was inside, and it failed to stir any interest within him.

Inside the box was a meticulously crafted necklace, adorned with an expensive gemstone at the pendant. However, hidden within it were a listening device and a tracker.

Noticing Mu Sheng's lack of reaction, the man spoke again, his tone tinged with regret. It was hard to tell whether he was lamenting Mu Sheng's disinterest in the gift or the fact that, once again, his carefully concealed bugs and trackers would go unused.

"Your expression seems like you already know what's inside. As expected, my gift isn't enough to spark your interest. Is this way of interacting too dull?"

The man was somewhat mixed-race, with features much more defined and sharp compared to East Asian faces. His deep-set eyes and inherent romantic nature made him appear exceptionally affectionate when he looked at others.

Especially since he no longer concealed his feelings for Mu Sheng, the intense emotions in his eyes made even the nearby store clerk blush when glancing over. His feigned pitiful and lonely tone made it difficult not to feel sympathy.

Mu Sheng seemed touched by the man's enthusiasm and sincerity, his pale face showing a bit of helplessness as he added, "It's not that I don't like it; it's just that every time you give me something so valuable, I can't accept it. I'm too used to not wearing such things out."

The man smiled and said with an air of inevitability, "No, it's not their fault. They're just not good enough to be seen with you."

Eventually, this expensive necklace would meet the same fate as the other gifts Mu Sheng had rejected—thrown into an unknown corner, never to see the light again.

Mu Sheng recalled this memory and continued as he remembered, "I plan to leave here for a while. We might not be able to meet for some time. Let's stay in touch through communication tools?"

The man asked, "Is it because of the killer lurking around you? That's really terrible."

His brows were furrowed tightly, showing both disgust and apprehension towards the killer, as if he were a normal person with empathy.