CHAPTER 64

Chapter 64: Dreamy Holiday Resort

Shi Zheng suddenly met Mu Sheng's gaze, as if he had just realized what he had said, and quickly closed his mouth. An inexplicable thought crossed his mind: he shouldn't say such things in front of the young man.

Even when he vaguely touched upon that absurd truth, which made him question his very existence, he felt a bit on edge, let alone with the sensitive young man before him.

Clearing his throat, Shi Zheng said, "It's ridiculous to say that the fish are going home; this river is their home. Where else could they go? The number has decreased a few, probably because they've swum to some place we can't see."

Realizing that his words were becoming increasingly ambiguous, Shi Zheng awkwardly changed the topic. "Let's not talk about this. You asked me how I ended up here; how about you?"

Mu Sheng didn't respond immediately. He watched the clear river, and the fish suddenly swam away, startled by Shi Zheng's loud voice, moving farther from him.

However, they seemed to like Mu Sheng, swimming closer to the direction where he crouched.

After observing the fish for a while, Mu Sheng finally turned to Shi Zheng.

Shi Zheng froze for a moment, bathed in the young man's clear gaze, and instinctively looked away, feeling uncomfortable.

After a while, unable to maintain his smile, Shi Zheng stared blankly ahead. "My mom left when I was very young; I don't even remember it.

"But I know why she left. She had a useless and cowardly husband and a son who didn't understand her. At home, she had to be a strict mother, and at the company, she had to be a strong and capable leader. She was in poor health and soon passed away."

Shi Zheng had heard the household staff talk about it. Even on the day before his mother died, his father still thought that "cancer" was just his strong-willed wife's way of forcing him to work harder.

It was said that when his mother died, that stubborn woman had used heavy makeup to hide her frailty, but she had become nothing but skin and bones.

"After that, my father finally knew regret. He stepped up and managed the company well."

"Everyone said he was impressive, even more so than my mother. A prodigal son returning is priceless; it's never too late."

But whether it is too late or not, only Shi Zheng's father knows.

Shi Zheng's confession came suddenly, as if it were just a minor detail from an ordinary NPC in the scenario, but Mu Sheng did not interrupt him.

Shi Zheng said, "My mother... my grandparents and the people at the company always said she was fierce, impatient, and had a bad temper. But I have a faint memory that she was very gentle when she held me."

Shi Zheng's eyes showed some confusion: "But... maybe I did remember it wrong."

Shi Zheng, not caring that someone he liked was sitting beside him, roughly grabbed his own hair: "I... I'm sorry if I've affected your mood with these words. I'll go back now."

Mu Sheng did not speak to stop Shi Zheng.

As Shi Zheng left, he glanced back at the young man one last time. Looking into Mu Sheng's beautiful eyes, he felt like he was seeing an ocean—gentle and calm, yet vast and boundless.

After Shi Zheng left, the nearby bodyguard immediately followed him, glancing warily at the shallow river and the fish swimming in it.

"Don't get too close; be careful not to wet your clothes," the bodyguard said hesitantly, then fell silent.