CHAPTER 81

Chapter 81: Deep Sea (V)

This abrupt question made...

Mu Sheng paused for a moment, and then a thoughtful expression appeared on the mermaid's face. It was clear that for the mermaid's somewhat slow mind, this question was a bit beyond its comprehension.

He struggled to grasp what Blair was trying to convey, clearly not fully understanding the researcher's words. After Blair asked the question, his sharp gaze remained fixed on Mu Sheng without wavering.

The machine beside them continued working, faithfully recording every subtle expression and reaction of the mermaid after the abrupt question. Blair glanced at the instrument's data.

Everything was normal and consistent with previous observations. The behavior of this mermaid was logical.

Blair: "Perfect data."

The smooth emotional curve matched the mermaid's previous data precisely. Blair took a sip of the coffee handed to him by a machine assistant, exuding a natural sense of nobility. He seemed more like a noble attending a tea party than a meticulous researcher.

As if joking, he casually remarked, "It's like knowing the exam questions in advance and then copying and pasting the perfect answers."

Mu Sheng lowered his gaze, his index finger trembling slightly.

Blair really was... one of the most difficult NPCs he'd encountered.

After realizing he was under observation in a heavily monitored laboratory, Mu Sheng had studied the various data left by this mermaid identity in advance and memorized it. Although there were no acquaintances of the original subject in this instance, so there was no need to worry about revealing out-of-character behavior, it didn't mean he could let his guard down.

The equipment, which was entirely unaffected by emotions and incapable of relaxation or deception, was more dangerous and troublesome in its own way.

Every small movement, every subtle micro-expression of Mu Sheng could be recorded, magnified, and analyzed—especially his hard-to-alter reflexes.

Fortunately, the habits of this mermaid were nearly identical to Mu Sheng's, so he didn't need to expend effort to alter them.

To be cautious, Mu Sheng specifically memorized the emotional curve left by the system's default settings for the mermaid: confusion, shock, surprise, joy...

All to guard against sudden probes like Blair's.

But Blair was sharper and more difficult than Mu Sheng had anticipated.

In some sense, Blair's analogy was quite accurate, but not completely.

Mu Sheng wasn't entirely "copy-pasting" the standard answers. He wasn't sure if Blair had noticed anything unusual from his previous behavior, but Mu Sheng knew that he couldn't afford to reveal any flaws now.

Such a cryptic metaphor, involving terms from human life, would obviously be incomprehensible to a mermaid who had never been exposed to them.

In the aquarium, the mermaid's pale face was a mix of curiosity and hesitation, looking quite conflicted.

If this were still the previous lab, where the researchers were all very busy but genuinely cared for him and were good-natured, the mermaid would've definitely approached, gazing up with wet, confused eyes to ask what the words he just overheard meant.

But he was now in a different place.

Not only was there the anxiety of being in an unfamiliar environment, but the mermaid's instincts also sensed something: the person in front of him didn't seem to like him.