CHAPTER 40

Chapter 40: Beautiful Dream Resort

When Yu Mu Sheng mentioned "Shu Cang," he also realized that bringing up this topic at this moment seemed inappropriate, so he refrained from continuing. However, the others were relentless; the topic circled around and unknowingly returned to Mu Sheng, asking him what dream he had.

Mu Sheng pressed his fingers to his brow, about to refuse, when Shu Cang interjected.

Shu Cang placed his teacup back on the table and looked up at Mu Sheng, saying, "I actually want to know what you dreamed about me."

This was the first time Shu Cang had directly spoken to Mu Sheng after sitting here for so long.

Through the middleman, Xiao Junyu, Mu Sheng exchanged a glance with Shu Cang. Shu Cang was of similar age to Yu Mu Sheng, just slightly older by a year. In fact, he was not much younger than the troublemakers Yu Yangxu and Ning Yongnian. However, his temperament was much more mature, already giving off a hint of the demeanor of Yu Zhao. He was deeply calculating, his thoughts hard to fathom.

Mu Sheng withdrew his gaze and stared at the elegant white porcelain teacup in front of him, as if he were trying to stare a flower into existence on its surface. The others also sensed the subtle atmosphere between the two and fell silent.

After a long while, Mu Sheng finally said, somewhat dazed, "I dreamt... that you didn't agree to my request back then."

Which time? What request? The questions multiplied, but no one dared to ask further.

The relationship between Yu Mu Sheng and Shu Cang was clearly not what the rumors suggested, that Mu Sheng was chasing after Shu Cang unilaterally. Now it appeared that Shu Cang might even be the more proactive one. After all, when had they ever seen the usually indifferent Shu Cang take the initiative to ask someone to "calm down"?

Moreover, Shu Cang himself disliked having his personal matters discussed publicly, but now that private feelings were being brought up, he tacitly accepted the gossip.

Zhuang Niannian, wanting to make up for her boyfriend's earlier blunder, tried to bridge the gap between the two with conflicting emotions and changed the subject, saying, "I heard people saying that Shu Cang doesn't actually like Mu Sheng, but now it seems like their relationship is quite good."

Zhuang Niannian continued, "Earlier, Xiao Junyu said he saw Mu Sheng by the river, and Shu Cang immediately looked up."

"And when we called Mu Sheng, he ignored us. It was only when we mentioned that Shu Cang was here that he came over."

"Could this be considered a kind of telepathy between a couple?"

Her boyfriend, Qi Zhanpeng, awkwardly chimed in, "Niannian and I don't have this kind of tacit understanding."

Mu Sheng shyly smiled, lifted his teacup, and took a sip, hiding his unflinching gaze.

Given Shu Cang's personality, he was certainly not pleased because Yu Mu Sheng was nearby. He simply found his presence annoying, likely still looking for excuses to withdraw or to send him away.

The others watched as Mu Sheng quietly drank his tea, the conversation paused. The young man's bashful demeanor was extremely appealing, not overly coy, with his jade-like face tinged with a faint blush. It spread lightly yet struck heavily at the heart.

But in an instant, Mu Sheng's smile faded, and he lowered his head, a hint of uncontainable melancholy in his brows: "Actually, that wasn't just hearsay."

Earlier, when Zhuang Niannian mentioned that someone was spreading rumors that Shu Cang didn't like Mu Sheng, it was not mere gossip.

"This..."