CHAPTER 67

Chapter 67: Dream Vacation Villa

Shi Zheng looked at the dark villa in front of him, his earlier ease replaced with a sense of reluctance. It wasn't the villa itself that made him feel this way, but the person who lived inside.

He stood at the entrance for a while, his expression blank, as if he was thinking about something, or perhaps nothing at all.

Just then, his phone buzzed in his pocket.

Shi Zheng pulled out his phone and saw the name "Dad" flashing on the screen. The ringtone echoed mechanically in the empty space, sounding as if it traveled far, but it felt more like it was confined within a narrow space that could drive a person mad.

Just like that woman's terrifying possessiveness over the past few days.

Was that really his mother? The woman described as independent and self-sufficient by relatives and friends?

Taking a deep breath, Shi Zheng answered the call, hearing his father's voice on the other end.

"Why have you been standing at the door for so long? Don't you know your mother will start to overthink?"

Alongside his father's stern and aged voice, a woman's voice nearby murmured anxiously:

"This is a piece of flesh that has fallen from me. Why has he become so inconsiderate?"

"I've been missing for so long, and when I come back, he hasn't even looked at me properly. Does he still see me as his mother?"

The nearby surveillance cameras were off. How did she know he was just standing at the door?

Shi Zheng squeezed the words out from his throat: "I'm coming in now."

Before his father could hang up, Shi Zheng quickly added, "Dad, I need to talk to you about something privately later."

His father's response was somewhat cold as he simply replied with a "mm" before hanging up.

Shi Zheng pocketed his phone, staring at the villa that seemed like it could devour a person, and took a step forward, pushing the door open and walking inside.

Inside the villa, two people were sitting in the living room. Shi Zheng's mother lay back in a chair, dressed in elegantly tailored, luxurious clothing, adorned with jewelry. From her appearance, she looked no different from any other noblewoman.

However, her arms and legs were almost eerily wrapped in bandages, with the exposed skin strangely covered.

She lay back in the chair, her face covered with a square piece of silk. Since Shi Zheng's mother had been brought back to the villa, she had not made a public appearance. The explanation given to the outside world was that she had injured her face during her time lost and had amnesia, making it inconvenient for her to meet people until she healed.

At first, Shi Zheng was very happy about his mother's "return" and had shown concern for her face, wanting to see her injury and mentioning that he knew some excellent doctors in that field. But he was refused.

She remained as she was now, with a plain silk cloth covering her face, coughing as she said, "What do you mean by this? Do you not recognize me as your mother just because I'm disfigured?" Her attitude was almost vicious.

Shi Zheng was at a loss for words, and his father, without saying a word, shook his head and motioned for him to leave. His father cherished his wife greatly, taking care of her and rarely letting anyone else assist her. When the woman expressed that she didn't want anyone to see her current state, she even took the initiative to send away all the servants in the villa.