Chapter 79

Li Na stood as a witness to a memory she had never lived, trapped between reality and illusion. Her other self, the same yet distant, lingered at the edge of something dark and irreversible. The quiet tension between Shen Yun Tian and the other Li Na seemed to grow heavier with each passing day. Each interaction, every glance, was filled with unspoken sorrow, a poison that twisted deeper with every exchange

But then, without warning, the storm subsided.

One evening, as Li Na watched from the shadowy recesses of this illusory space, she saw the other Li Na walk toward Shen Yun Tian with a softness that hadn't graced her face in what seemed like an eternity. Her steps were unhurried, deliberate, as if she had decided upon something that had taken root long ago.

"Yun Tian," she began, her voice a gentle caress, "do you remember when you asked me to be your fiancée?"

Shen Yun Tian looked up, his usual guarded demeanor softening as he nodded. "I do. That was the day we promised to be together forever. We were so young then."

"Yes," she chuckled softly, her eyes sparkling with nostalgia. "We spent every moment together after that, playing in the gardens and making silly promises."

Her smile, shy yet radiant, filled the room with warmth. Shen Yun Tian felt an unfamiliar flutter in his chest, the cold edges of their reality smoothing just a little.

"Those were happier times," he replied, his voice tinged with a bittersweet longing. "When you agreed to be my fiancée, it felt like the world was ours to conquer."

She moved closer, her gaze steady and sincere. "Tonight, let's pretend we're those children again, playing without a care in the world."

"Are you sure?" he asked, uncertainty flickering across his features.

"I want to," she replied, her voice firm. "Let's create a moment that belongs only to us, free from all this darkness."

As they set about preparing a simple meal together, their laughter echoed off the walls, a sound both haunting and beautiful. Shen Yun Tian's heart swelled as he watched her chop vegetables, her movements fluid and graceful.

"Do you remember the first time we played in the garden after the engagement?" he asked, leaning against the counter, a small smile creeping onto his lips.

"Yes," she said with a laugh, her eyes dancing. "You tried to impress me by climbing that tree and ended up falling into the flower bed! I thought you'd cry!"

He laughed, the sound rich and warm. "I remember your giggles. I was so embarrassed, but you just laughed and helped me up."

"Those moments kept me going," she said softly, her smile fading into something more serious.

Later, as they lit candles around the room, their flickering flames cast delicate shadows, illuminating the space with a soft glow. For a fleeting moment, it felt as if they were a normal couple, a dream he dared not wake from.

"I've been thinking," she said, her voice barely above a whisper, "about that promise you made when we were children."

Shen Yun Tian's breath caught in his throat. "Li Na, what do you mean?"

"I want to fulfill that promise," she replied, her eyes searching his. "I want to share my heart with you, tonight."

His heart raced, a mix of hope and fear flooding through him. "Are you sure about this? What if—"

"I've been afraid for so long, but not anymore. I want to be with you, Yun Tian. I want to share this moment, to let you in."

As they moved to the bedroom, the air thickened with anticipation. The room, dimly lit, felt cocooned in an almost sacred atmosphere. Every touch, every breath felt amplified. Shen Yun Tian held her as though she was made of porcelain, his hands trembling slightly as they caressed her. The warmth of her body, the soft vibration of her pulse under his fingertips lulled him into the belief that perhaps, just perhaps, this was real.