Chapter 16: Beth

Song : Memory by Elaine Paige

----------

Chapter 16: Beth

I guess they never prepare you for being a parent huh? I mean not really but I’m the closest thing these kids are ever going to have to a parent and they’re the closest thing I’m ever going to have to kids.          But now that Kyoto’s been kidnapped, I mean what do I do? Is there anything I can do? They tell you to look after these kids but they never tell you what to do when one of your kids is taken away. I should speak to the organization but I don’t really want to be following their rules and regulations right now. I want Kyoto back safely. I hope Nova and Phoenix get back safely. And I think that’s them!

                I pull open the main door of the complex and see Nova and Phoenix climbing out of his car. I run across the driveway and pull them both into a tight hug. When I step back I see the girl stood behind them. She’s tall and has dark hair and black eyes. She’s very beautiful. She looks almost familiar but I’ve never met her. She can’t be more than seventeen.

“Who’s this?” I ask, nodding towards the girl who has climbed out of the car.

“Yeah about that, we kind of need to speak to you Beth.” Phoenix says his voice dropping to a whisper.

I nod and take Nova’s arm. “Let’s go inside and talk.”

We walk through to the lounge, Phoenix and the girl following.

                “So where have you been?” I ask, sitting down.

Nova, Phoenix and the girl sit down and Nova and Phoenix exchange a confused look.

“Well I left kind of abruptly. I’m sorry about that. I just needed to clear my head. I went to stay with my dad and my stepmother. I met Tori while I was there. She was adopted by them after I was brought here.”

“How did you find her?” I ask, turning to Phoenix.

“Well Beth, here’s the thing. I didn’t go with the intention of finding Nova. I went to George and Abigail Cook’s house looking for Tori. While I was speaking with her, George invited us into the kitchen for tea and that’s when I found Nova.” Phoenix says.

I smile. “But why were you looking for Tori?”

“Well-” Phoenix starts.

“Let me.” Tori interrupts.

Phoenix nods.

“Phoenix came looking for me so I could meet you. My name is Victoria Elizabeth Coventry.” Tori says.

“Wait what?” I say, feeling sure my ears have deceived me.

“Victoria Elizabeth Coventry. I’m your daughter.” She whispers. 

                Tears begin to form in my eyes as I feel for the locket around my neck. My fingers wrap around the small heart and I open the clasp. I look down at the photo of me and my baby and then up and Tori. The resemblance is undeniable. My baby has the same midnight eyes and dark curls and the same beautiful smile. I stand up and wearily reach towards her. I pull her into a hug and when I pull back I see tears on her cheeks too.

“We’ll leave you two alone.” Phoenix says.

He and Nova leave quietly.

“I can’t believe I’ve found you. After seventeen years I’ve found you.” I whisper.

Victoria smiles. “I know you asked for a closed adoption. But I know you’re here now. I can’t go back to Abigail and George knowing that you’re here.”

I nod. “I know. It will be difficult. But I knew what I was asking when I made that decision. We can’t go against it.”

Victoria’s face falls. “Please think about this.”

I nod. “I have. We can be friends. But I can never be your mother. That’s why you have Nova’s parents. They are your real family.”

Victoria nods tearfully. “Ok. I’ll see you soon then.”

I nod and she turns around and leaves the room quickly.

                It’s not an easy decision to make, but I know I’m not what is best for Victoria. She’s been with Abigail and George since she was a child. They’ve looked after her in ways I couldn’t and it’s not fair for me to take that away from them. They need her and she needs them. I’m not going to ruin that.

----------

Cast:

Emmy Rossum as Tori Cook

Mike O'Malley as George Cook

Jessalyn Gilsig as Abigail Cook