Chapter 36: Lucia

Song: Nature Boy by David Bowie

----------

Chapter 36- Lucia

I’m on my way to the hospital. Beth let me know last night that Harper had remembered Christian and there was a possibility that I’d be the next thing he remembered if his memory came back in chronological order. So I decided to go down and see him. Even if he doesn’t remember me, he’s still important to me. Nothing will change that. I knock on the door and go inside when a nurse opens the door.

“He’s asleep at the moment but he should be awake soon. It’s almost ten.”

“Thank you.” I say with a smile.

Harper stirs and slowly sits up, rubbing his eyes.

“Hey Lucia.” He says, his eyes falling on me.

I smile. “How are you feeling?”

“Good. Getting better. I can’t believe some of the things I’ve forgotten.”

“Really? Like what?”

“Well it appears I’ve lost everything since my diagnosis. I didn’t even remember I’d met Chris. Can you believe that? How could I have lost a whole relationship I had with someone?”

I blink back tears. “Crazy isn’t it?”

He nods. “How are things at the complex?”

I shrug. “Good. Nova and Phoenix decided on a name for their baby.”

“Wait what?”

“I guess that’s something else you forgot.”

“They’re having a baby?”

I nod. “Yes. A baby girl. They’re going to name her Isabella.”

Harper smiles. “That’s a beautiful name.”

I nod. “Isn’t it?”

“Do you think you could do me a favour?” Harper asks.

I nod. “Sure. What’s up?”

“Well I haven’t had breakfast. I’m not hungry but I really want orange juice. Do you think you could get some from the cafeteria?”

I nod. “Okay. I’ll be right back.”

He smiles. “Thanks Luc.”

                Once I’ve got Harper’s orange juice I make my way back to his room. I’m about to go in when I hear voices.

“Literally just now!” Harper says.

“When she left?”

That’s Christian.

“Yeah. She left and it came back. It was a light bulb moment.”

Christian chuckles.

I decide to go for a walk and leave them to have their conversation. I walk the hospital grounds, admiring the pretty flowers. They remind me so much of the rose garden, a regular meeting place for Harper and I. After I’ve successfully wasted about twenty minutes, I make my way back to Harper’s room. I’m about to knock when I hear words that change me.

“I’m going to break up with her. It never really meant anything to me anyways.”

The voice is undeniably Harper’s. I throw open the door and storm into the room.

“This all meant nothing to you?! You’re really going to go there?!” I shout.

“Luc wait-”

“I should have known. I should have known this was all a joke to you. I’m such an idiot. I should have listened to my brother. He was right about you. You’re no good.”

I hear him protest but I don’t listen as I storm out of the hospital. I get into my car and start the engine. I hastily drive home and run to my room.

None of it was real. It was all a lie.