Chapter 23: Beth

Song: Everybody Hurts by Blake Jenner

----------

Chapter 23: Beth

Life is never easy or stress-free whilst looking after teenagers and I should know that by now. I only realized that when Geneva and Paris came rushing into my office this morning saying that while they were out they met two guys. One was from England, named Danny who was a Dominator Virtutis. The second, named Harry was also rather interesting. He was looking around town for his sister and Geneva swore the photograph he showed her was of me.

                I was telling Christian all about this man, Harry James when he suggested we meet the man. Geneva knew what I looked like and if she was so certain that the man was showing my picture, it must be true. I agreed reluctantly and Geneva gave me a contact number. I phoned Harry and we arranged for Christian and I to meet with him tomorrow.

                Okay, Christian and I are on our way to Harry’s and I am so nervous. After convincing myself I would never have a family, this past week has been a shock. After getting Tori back, this with Harry all seems a little staged. But I guess anything’s possible.

                Christian knocks awkwardly on Harry’s front door and I hear footsteps, unsure of what to expect. When the door does open, we are greeted by a handsome man with dark hair of around 35 years of age.

“You must be Elizabeth and Christian.” He says, flashing a gleaming smile. “Please come in.”

Christian steps into the house but I pause and Christian takes my hand, pulling me into the house. The door slams behind me and we follow Harry through a narrow passageway into a brightly lit room. The high ceiling and bare walls remind me of the room where the organization hold their meetings.

                “So you’re probably wondering why Beth contacted you.” Christian begins.

Harry nods, gesturing to the teapot on the table. “Tea anyone?”

Christian nods. “Please. Beth?”

I nod my head, not trusting myself to speak.

“As I was saying, you’re probably wondering why Beth contacted you and the reason is a little strange actually.”

Christian elbows me.

“Well I’m in charge of a complex for gifted children and a few days ago one of my girls, Geneva came to me and said that her and a friend had met a man on a night out who was looking for his sister. She swore that the picture the man had showed her was of me.”

Realization dawns on Harry’s face.

“It is you. I thought you seemed familiar but I didn’t want to jump to conclusions. You’re my sister.”

Harry’s face breaks into a smile.

                “How is this possible?” Christian asks.

“Well I’m thirty seven years old. I was raised by my father, I never met my mother. It seems that my parents had an affair and I was born as a result. My mother was married and so she left me with my father. I was doing some family research a few weeks ago and it turns out I have two sisters. Elizabeth Coventry, location Manhattan and Katherine Coventry, location Brooklyn.” Harry says.

“Wait what?” I ask, turning to Christian.

He has a suspiciously guilty look on his face.

“I have a sister too?!” I ask.

Harry nods.

“Can I please see some proof?”

Harry nods and retrieves an envelope from a drawer on a cupboard the other side of the room. He hand it to me and I open the envelope.

“Harry William James, born May 29th 1976. Parents William James and Charlotte Coventry. But that’s-”

“That’s your mother.” Christian burst out.

I nod.

Harry smiles. “Nice to meet you sis.”

“You said you have another sister in Brooklyn?”

Harry nods. “Katherine Coventry. Twenty five years of age.”

“Wait what?” I ask.

“Twenty five.”

“That was after you left.” Christian says.

I nod.

                “Have you met Katherine yet?” I ask Harry.

He shakes his head.

“I can’t believe I have a brother and sister I knew nothing about.” I whisper.

“Beth I have to tell you something.” Christian says.

“What Chris?” I ask.

“I’ve spoken with Katherine. She’s been looking for you. I met with her earlier this week. I’ve been trying to bring it up with you but after what happened with Kyoto I decided not to bother you with it now. I’m so sorry.”

“Wait what?!” I explode. “Christian you knew about my sister and you didn’t tell me?”

He looks at the ground.

“You know how much I’ve wanted to know I had other family. I can’t believe you’ve done this.” I spit venomously.

“She’s not in Brooklyn. She lives downtown.” Christian whispers.

“Give me the address.” I hiss.

Harry hands Christian paper and a pen and he scribbles down the address.

“Harry let’s go.” I say.

Harry nods.

“I’ll deal with you later.” I hiss at Christian.  

He looks at the floor and I sigh. This is unforgiveable.

----------

Cast:

Dominic Cooper as Harry James

----------

I love Harry! But poor Christian!:(

Thanks for reading!

Sarah xx