Chapter 34: Kyoto

Song: Footprints in the Sand by Leona Lewis

----------

Chapter 34: Kyoto

I’ve lost track of how long I’ve been here but I know it’s been a long time. Austin/Itoust doesn’t show up much so I spend most of my time alone. Robert is here sometimes but he drifts in and out. Any time I spend in the company of another person is valued.

“Robert where do you disappear to so often?” I ask one afternoon.

Robert shrugs. “I like to walk around. Places where people don’t see me.”

“Can you put up glamours?”

Robert nods. “I can. But it’s exhausting to keep up for any amount of time.”

“Is there any known thing that can break the curse?”

Robert shrugs. “The legends all say that only true love can break the curse. Like Beauty and the Beast I suppose. But no one cares enough to try and know me. So there’s no chance of me ever finding true love.”

I’m about to reply when I hear a knock at the door.

“Robert someone is by the door.”

“That’s strange.” Robert says, walking to the door.

He opens it slowly, revealing a young woman. She’s familiar. She looks like…Beth!

“Robert wait!”

I run past him to the door. Sure enough here she is, Katherine Coventry.

“Katherine.” I breathe.

“How do you know me?” She asks.

“Beth. I know Beth. I live at the complex.” I say.

“Kyoto! You’re the one that went missing! This is brilliant! I have to tell Beth!”

“Katherine wait!”

She turns slowly. “What?”

“Please come in. I have to explain this to you so that you’ll understand.”

Katherine nods and follows me into the room.

“Robert could you make tea please?”

Robert nods and goes into the kitchen.

              “I don’t understand what the problem is.” Katherine says.

“The person that kidnapped me. It’s hard to explain. It’s Austin. He’s from the complex too. But he’s partly possessed by a demon and that’s why he kidnapped me. You can’t tell anyone.”

“Why not?” Katherine asks.

“Because Itoust- that’s the demon- because Itoust wants to enslave us all. If you tell anyone that you’ve found me, they’ll kill my whole family. Everyone at the complex, Beth, all my friends. But he won’t stop there. He’ll kill anyone who knows. Christian, you, Harry. He’ll kill you all. And I don’t want you all killed because of me. You have to promise you’ll keep this to yourself. Our secret, okay?”

Katherine nods. “Okay. I promise.”

“You’ll have to tell them at one point. But not yet.”

Katherine nods. “How will I know?”

“I’ll give you my phone number. Oh never mind.” I say, realising that I don’t have my phone.

“Use mine.” Says Robert, who has returned from the kitchen.

“Thanks.” I say, taking the phone from Robert.

I tell Katherine the number and she types it into her phone, all the while her eyes on Robert.

“Thank you Robert.” I say, handing him the phone back.

              “Would you like me to show you out Miss Katherine?” He asks.

She nods and smiles.

“Thank you Katherine.” I say with a smile.

“You too Kyoto.” She says, following Robert from the room.

Instantly I know what has happened. She’s the one who will ultimately break Robert’s curse.