Chapter 19: Lucia

Song: She's Got a Way by Billy Joel

----------

Chapter 19: Lucia

I guess following Harper to the coffee joint wasn’t my brightest idea but what can I say, I’m a little bit irrational when I’m confused. I definitely am confused right now. Harper kissed me the other night after we watched Letters to Juliet. I thought things would be okay but what can I say? I guess I was surprised when Harper kissed me. I’ve never been kissed before. Well except by that jerk who tricked me into playing spin the bottle with his friends when I was thirteen. But I decided to wipe that out of my memory and start again.

                I don’t know how I feel about sharing my first kiss with Harper. As far as intellect goes he’s the most intelligent person I’ve ever met aside from maybe Ada and Beth. And he’s kind and caring and I know he doesn’t open to people easily. I think I may have ruined things with him which is why I asked his brother to tell him to meet me at the meadow. I need to set things straight.

                When I arrive at the meadow, Harper is sitting on a picnic blanket strumming his guitar softly.

“Hey.” I say quietly.

He turns around and smiles when he sees me. He climbs to his feet and walks towards me. I stand still, unsure of what is going to happen. When his hand cups my face and he kisses me, I’m surprised. He pulls away and walks me to a bench near the blanket. He sits me on the bench and tells me to listen. He sits beside me and turns his body to face me. His fingers strum the guitar strings softly and he begins to sing.

She's got a way about her

I don't know what it is, but I know that I can't live without her

She's got a way of pleasin'

I don't know why it is, but there doesn't have to be a reason anyway

She's got a smile that heals me

I don't know why it is, but I have to laugh when she reveals me

And she's got a way of talkin'

Don't know why it is, but it lifts me up when we are walkin' anywhere

She comes to me when I'm feelin' down, inspires me without a sound

She touches me and I get turned around

She's got a way of showin'

How I make her feel and I find the strength to keep on goin'

And she's got a light around her

And everywhere she goes, million dreams of love surround her everywhere

She comes to me when I'm feelin' down, inspires me without a sound

She touches me, I get turned around

She's got a smile that heals me

I don't know why it is, but I have to laugh when she reveals me

And she's got a way about her

I don't know what it is, but I know that I can't live without her anyway”

Harper sets down his guitar and I sit breathlessly, staring at him.

“Was that true?” I ask.

He smiles. “Truer words have never been sung or spoken.”

I smile and he kisses me.

----------

-----> She's Got a Way by Billy Joel

Thanks for reading!

Sarah xx