Chapter 24: Ada

Song: Far Away by Nickelback

----------

Chapter 24: Ada

Well hello friends! It’s been so long! First things first, do you guys like Toby? He’s so sweet! Damien’s great too. We’re going out for dinner tonight and Toby and I are going to the movies tomorrow. I have my dress for dinner tonight but I can’t decide what to wear tomorrow. I may have to ask Lucia.

                Anyways, let’s do dinner tonight first. Damien is so sweet. He’s got a tough exterior but I think he’s got a heart of gold. He’s really sweet and he oozes love for his little sister Rebecca. She’s ten years old with black hair and blue eyes. She’s beautiful. So anyways, our date! Damien picked me up from the complex at seven thirty and we walked into town. He took me to my favourite Italian restaurant and we sat there and talked while we waited for our food.

                “So what’s life like at the school?” Damien asks.

I shrug. “It has its pros and cons. I mean I get to live with my friends which is awesome but sometimes I wish I still got to see my parents.”

Damien nods. “I used to think it would be cool to live with my friends. Until we went camping. The worst two nights of my life. None of us could cook, none of us knew first aid and no one brought a map. It was torture.”

I giggle. “That sounds like fun.” 

Damien shakes his head. “Hardly.”

I smile. “Sometimes I do wish that I’d had a more normal childhood but you know, I guess I’m lucky to be where I am.”

Damien nods. “How long have you been at the complex?”

I shrug. “Nine years. I moved there when I was eight. My parents cut contact when I was nine.”

“They just stopped visiting and calling?” Damien asks incredulously.

I nod. “I was lucky to have even that long. Most parents didn’t bother.”

Damien nods. “That’s sad isn’t it? I mean no matter what problems they have, you think they’d try and keep in contact with their children.”

“I guess. Some people have since reconnected with their families. Nova speaks to her dad and her stepmother. Lucia’s brother is at the complex with her. Harper speaks to his brother. But most of us just assume that if our parents really loved us, they’d try and contact us.” I say with a smile.

“Still. It can’t be the best existence. Hidden away like that.” Damien says.

“It’s surprisingly good to us. I spend a lot of time listening to music and watching movies. I hang out a lot with my friends too.” I say.

“What’s your favourite movie?” Damien asks.

“Spirited Away.” I say without thinking.

He smiles. “Interesting.”

“What’s yours?” I ask.

“Grown Ups.” Damien says with a smirk.

I laugh. “Nice.”

                When Damien and I have eaten, he walks me back to the complex. He stops outside the front door and smiles down at me.

“I had a wonderful time Ada.” He says.

I smile. “I did too.”

“I’m going to Florida for a fortnight next week. I’ll call you when I get back okay?”

I nod and Damien moves his head closer to mine. He kisses me softly. I smile as he smiles at me.

“Two weeks Miss Kelley. And then I will be back.”

I smile and wave to him from the doorstep as he walks into the blackness.

----------

Cast:

Bailee Madison as Rebecca Hudson (Damien's sister)

----------

Now I want a Damien too! Can I have a Damien and a Toby? Please?

Thanks for reading!

Sarah xx