Chapter 12: Phoenix

Song: Destiny by Play

----------

Chapter 12: Phoenix

I know what you're thinking. Back already? I've spent the last few days looking for Beth's daughter. If Nova and I get to be parents Beth deserves to be. She's done everything for us. Heck Nova's been here since she was four and a half. I'm worried about her. I don't know where she's gone. Beth doesn't either. But I'm trusting she just wants time. If she really loves me she'll come back.  

The good news is I found Beth's daughter. Her name is Tori Cook. She's living a few hours away with a family. She's an only child. Her parents, George and Abigail adopted Tori when she was two and a half. Let's go then!  

Okay. We're here. I knock hesitantly on the door and a man, around forty answers.  

"Can I help you?" He asks.  

"Hi. I'm looking for Tori Cook."  

"She's inside. Why?"  

"I think she might be related to one of my teachers. Can I please speak with her?"  

"Why don't you come in? I'm George. I'm Tori's dad."  

"Thank you Sir. I'm Phoenix."  

George leads me through the house and into the living room.  

"I'll go call Tori." He says. 

I nod and he turns to the door. "Abigail we have a guest! Call Tori!"  

A few minutes later a woman of around 40 with long blonde hair comes into the room followed by a teenage girl.  

"Phoenix this is Tori and my wife Abigail." George says.  

"Pleased to meet you."  

"Tori Phoenix thinks he may know a relation of yours."  

Tori nods.  

"Here's the thing. My teacher Beth was telling me about her daughter this past week. She was given up for adoption when she was three months old. I did some research and was directed to this address. Your birth name is Victoria Coventry right?"  

Tori nods.  

"Oh my God. You're Beth's daughter!"  

"You know my mother?" Tori asks.  

I'm about to reply when I hear calling.  

"Sorry. That's my other daughter. Only came home this week. Haven't seen her in years. Excuse me." George says, leaving the room.  

"So what's my mum like?" Tori asks.  

I smile. "Beth is amazing. She's the kindest, smartest, most badass person I've ever met."  

Tori chuckles.  

"She gives great advice too."  

Tori smiles. "I'd love to meet her."  

"Maybe you could come back to school with me."  

George sticks his head around the door.  

"Do you guys want tea?"  

"Let's go to the kitchen. You can meet my sister." Tori says.  

I nod and follow her to the kitchen. We turn the corner into the kitchen and I hear a teacup shatter to the floor. I look up and see Nova. She runs to me and buries her face in my shoulder.  

"I can't believe you found me." She whispers.  

"What is going on here?" George asks.  

"Dad this is my boyfriend Phoenix." Nova explains sheepishly.  

"You?" George asks turning to me, his face like thunder. "You did this to her?!"  

"No Dad. This isn't anyone's fault." Nova defends.  

"He's right Nova. This is my fault. And like Beth said I need to be responsible and support you through this."  

She hugs me.  

"How did you find me?"  

"Beth told me about her daughter. So I thought I'd find her and surprise Beth. I didn't plan on finding you. I was hoping you might come back by yourself."  

Nova smiles. "I don't care. I'm just glad to have you back."