Chapter 5: Nova

Song: Young and Beautiful by Lana del Rey

----------

Chapter 5: Nova

Hi. I’m Nova Shay. You’ve probably already heard of me.  I’m blonde with green eyes, I’m nineteen, my power is manipulation and I’m dating Phoenix. We’ve been dating for three years. And I really love him. I hope he really loves me too. He always said when we were older we’d get married. We’d have a family. I’d kind of always accepted that’s what would happen. But then today happened. I found out things wouldn’t be happening in that order. Or maybe ever. I should probably tell Phoenix.

                “Hey Nov.” He smiles and pulls me onto his lap.

I smile. “What are you reading?”

“It’s called The Great Gatsby.”

“I’ve heard of that. Is it good?”

Phoenix nods.

Then everything happens quickly. I jump up and sprint to the nearest toilet where I throw up.

I can hear Phoenix outside.

When I finally emerge, he’s sitting on the floor waiting.

“Are you ok?” He asks.

That’s all it takes. I start crying.

“What happened?” He asks.

I don’t answer but eventually he comes to the conclusion by himself.

“You’re pregnant aren’t you?”

I nod uncertainly.

“We’ll be ok. Everything will be fine.” He promises.

I nod. I don’t believe him but we both need peace of mind right now.

                Later that day, after dinner, I was talking to Geneva when Phoenix walks through the door. I wave and continue my conversation with Geneva. But something about the way Phoenix was behaving was making me a little uneasy. I politely tell Geneva I’ll talk with her later and go to find him. He’s walked into the room and then walked straight back out. He’s sitting on a bench in the rose garden.

                “What’s wrong with you?” I ask.

“Nov. It’s not good.”

“What happened?” I ask, sitting beside him.

“Earlier I was looking through the medical records. You know, checking that nothing could go wrong with the baby. And I found something, well two things in my records.”

“What?”

“Two genes that I carry. The werewolf gene and the gene that can activate the stone curse.”

“Oh my god.” I whisper.

“You need to get an-”

“Don’t. Don’t say it.” I warn.

“Nova.”

“No. I am not doing it. You can’t make me.”

I storm away, not waiting for his reply.