Chapter 32: Lucia

Song: Thinking of You by Katy Perry

----------

Chapter 32: Lucia

So Harper went in for his surgery to remove the tumour from his head.  I promised him I’d be here when he came out of anaesthetics, which will be any minute. I was so worried he’d never wake up. Hearing that surgery went almost perfect was such a relief!

                Harper stirs and slowly opens his eyes and begins to sit up.

“Hey Lucia. What are you doing here?” Harper asks, noticing me sitting beside him.

“Um I promised I’d wait for you to come out of your anaesthetics. This morning when we arrived.”  

“You came this morning?” Harper asks.

I nod. “Yeah. I said I would in the classroom two days ago. Remember? I was crying and you said you loved me?”

Harper shakes his head. “I’m sorry Lucia. I mean you’re great and everything but I just don’t like you like that.”

My eyes sting with tears. “I have to go.” I say and I run from  the room, not waiting for his reply.

                Beth is sitting outside and she stands up when she sees me running.

“What happened?” She asks.

I shake my head. “He doesn’t remember the last few months. He doesn’t remember we’re dating. He doesn’t love me anymore Beth.”

I start crying again and Beth gives me a hug. 

“It’s okay Lucia. He’ll get better. His memory will improve with time.”

I nod and wipe the tears from my eyes.

“He hasn’t stopped loving you. He’s always going to love you. You’ll get through this together.”

I nod. “I’m going to head home. The other guys will want to know how he is.”

Beth nods and gives me a hug. “He loves you.” She says.

I nod.

                When I get back to the complex, everyone is crowded together in the sitting room. I open the front door and smile wearily.

“How is he?” Orlando asks.

I nod. “He’s fine. The surgery went very well and he stands the best chances of a quick and successful recovery.”

People smile and are happy and slowly the room empties. I sit down in the chair by the fire and slowly, I notice tears rolling down my cheeks.

“Luc are you okay?”

I turn around and see Orlando. He sits down beside me and wraps an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a hug.

“He’s not fine is he?” Orlando asks.

I shake my head. “Everything that happened after Christmas is gone. He doesn’t love me anymore.” I say, tears filling my eyes again.

Orlando sighs. “I’m sorry Luc. I haven’t been very accepting of him. And I should have been. We’re lucky to have family and we should support each other. If he’s important to you, then I respect that and will attempt to be friendly. Just don’t rush into anything.”

I smile. “He doesn’t love me anymore. But even if he did, it’s not like we were eloping to Vegas.”

Orlando chuckles. “Just checking. And don’t give up. Faith is never lost.”

----------

Sadness! :(

Thanks for reading!

Sarah xx