Chapter 10: Phoenix

Song: Help by The Beatles

----------

Chapter 10: Phoenix

It’s been four days since I found out and Nova has not said a word to me. I didn’t want to upset her but her doing this is to help her. I don’t want her to have the baby if the baby could have either of the cursed genes I carry. Even if he or she does there’s no saying either will be activated but I’d rather not take that chance. I need to speak to the organization to see if there’s anything I can do. But first, I need to find a way out of the complex. I have to have Beth’s permission to leave for longer than a day but I need to find a convenient excuse. But what?

                “Hey Beth? Can I talk to you for a second please?”

“Sure. What’s wrong?” She asks.

“I need to leave. For a few days.”

“Why?”

“I need to see the organization.”

“Phoenix is everything okay?”

I nod my head slowly.

“What’s happened?”

Suddenly all the emotions overwhelm me and then I’m crying in front of Beth. She pulls me into a hug.

“What happened?”

“It’s Nova. She’s pregnant.” I whisper.

“Why do you need to see the organization then?” Beth asks in confusion.

“I carry the stone curse and werewolf genes.”

“So?”

“I’m not taking risks with the baby. If he or she has the slightest chance of getting either of those curses because of me I’m not letting Nova keep it.”

“Phoenix you can’t make that decision.”

“But it’s for her own good.”

“This is her choice. She is the one who has to carry the baby. She is the one who gets to make that call. You need to take responsibility now and support her in whatever choice she makes.”

“But Beth. We’re nineteen. We’re not old enough to be parents.”

“Shall I tell you something?”

I nod and dry my eyes.

“When I was eighteen I got pregnant.”

“You did?”

Beth nods.

“What did you do?”

“The guy left. As soon as he found out. I kept the baby. I kept her for a few months. Her name was Victoria. When she was three months old I knew I couldn’t do this by myself. I gave her up for adoption. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. But I knew it was the right thing to do. By giving her up for adoption I was making sure I gave her the best chance in life.”

“Have you ever met her? Do you know where she is?” I ask.

Beth shakes her head. “When I gave her up for adoption I decided on a closed adoption. I didn’t want to be reminded of her if I couldn’t have her. I have a photograph of the two of us when she was born though. I keep it in a locket.”

I smile. “I’m sorry Beth.”

She shakes her head. “No it’s fine. But now you need to find Nova and make things right.”

I nod and give her hug. “You’ll be a great mum one day Beth. I know it.”

She smiles and I walk over to the girls’ wing.

                I knock on Nova’s door but there’s no answer. I decide to try Geneva’s room. She’s usually there.

“Hey Phoenix.” Geneva says, opening the door slightly.

“Hey Geneva. Is Nova in there?”

Geneva shakes her head.

“Seriously. If she said she doesn’t want to see me or whatever I don’t care. I need to speak to her.”

“She’s not here Phoenix. She left.”