Chapter 42: Damien

Song: I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston

----------

Chapter 42- Damien

I don’t know who this Toby character is but I know he’s close with Ada. I know a lot of people see me as a tough guy but I’m not and I’m not trying to be. If Toby makes her happy then I’m glad. I’m glad he can make her happy. Even if I can’t. She’s asked me to meet her today at the beach and I’m hoping to get some answers to this.

              “Thanks for coming Damien.” She says when I arrive.

I smile. “No problem. I thought it might be urgent. You seemed panicky on the phone.” 

She smiles. “I don’t think it is urgent anymore.”

“Why’s that?” I ask. 

“You know how much I like you Damien. I like you a lot. You’re funny, you’re sweet and I enjoy spending time with you. But I like Toby too.”

“Please just make this quick. I’m not going to be bitter about it because I want us to be friends.” I say quietly.

“What are you talking about?” Ada asks.

“You picked him. I know you did.”

“I didn’t. I chose you. I like you a lot. Maybe I even love you. But I need Toby in my life. If you can be okay with that, then we can be good.” She says.

I nod. “Of course. I would never try to take your friends away from you.”

She smiles. “I’m glad. I need my friends as much as I need you. Toby may be my best friend. And I do love him. Just not like I love you. You’re special. And I think we can be happy together. Toby’s special too. But I need you. And you and I just wouldn’t work as friends.”

“You think?” I ask.

“Mhm. You’re way too possessive for that.”

“I am not!” I say with a smirk.

“Kidding.” She says, kissing me.

I laugh. “Good. Because I thought I might have to chase you into the ocean to teach you a lesson.”

She shakes her head. “It’s far too cold for that.”

I nod. “Agreed. Hot chocolate and a walk in the park?”

Ada nods. “Definitely. I like the sound of it.”

              On our way to get hot chocolate, we run into Toby. I decide to be bold and I invite him to come to the park with us. He initially declines but Ada begs him and eventually he agrees. We walk through the park, him and Ada playing tag. I laugh and take pictures. I think if Toby and I weren’t in love with the same girl we could be friends. He’s a little too nice for my taste but that’s okay. You just need to be a little tough sometimes. I only come back to reality when I see that Ada and Toby have run for the kiddie park and Toby is now pushing her on the swing. She’s laughing, her hair flying behind her. I hold up my phone and take a picture. I think a lot of people would disagree but I think this arrangement works. This way we can both be in her life and there are no hard feelings, no grudges. We are all happy.