Chapter 40: Toby

Song: Nightngale by Demi Lovato

----------

Chapter 40- Toby

I know Ada will ultimately decide soon. I know she’ll pick either me or Damien. The selfish part of me hopes she’ll choose me, but I’m mostly hoping she’ll be happy. If I can’t make her happy then I hope she does pick Damien. I remember one time she told me how much she wanted to see the northern lights. I can’t blame her. I’ve always wanted to see them. They seem so beautiful. So simple. So I enlisted Phoenix’s help as he can teleport and everything and he’s agreed to teleport me and then Ada to Norway. I’m extremely excited! 

                Phoenix has just left to get Ada. I hope she likes this. I hope it’s special. I know she might see it as bribery. But it isn’t. It’s my way of saying thank you for being a good friend and hoping she’s happy in her life. I know she will be. She’s intelligent. She’s beautiful and I know that she’ll be happy. Before I know it, Phoenix is back and Ada runs to me and hugs me tightly. I smile and hug her back.

“I’ll be back around 10.” Phoenix says.

“Thank you.” I say.

He smiles and waves before disappearing. 

“What on earth is this?” Ada asks, allowing me to lead her to the edge of the hill.

“This is a gift. You told me you’d always wanted to see this and so here you are.” 

As the words leave my lips the sky lights up. It’s better than any firework display. 

“Oh my God. This is amazing!” Ada exclaims, running closer to the edge.

“Careful!” I say, grabbing her elbow to steady her.

She laughs and pulls me into a hug.

“This is amazing. Thank you!” She whispers into my ear.

“It’s okay.” I say.

She drags me to the edge of the hill where she sits down, pulling me with her. 

“I have another gift for you.” I tell her.

“Absolutely not.” She says, folding her arms.

“Come on. I promised this one anyways. I insist.” I say, handing her the DVD.

“You found Spirited Away!” She says. “Thank you so much.”

She jumps to hug me. The force pushes me over and both end up lying on the ground. She laughs and I laugh too.

“You are just too perfect Toby.” She says.

I smile. “No one is perfect. I just like to see you smile.”

She blushes. “There’s something I need to talk to you about.”

My smile falters. That doesn’t sound good.

“You know I’ve been seeing Damien. And you know he means a lot to me. But you do too. I like spending time with you Toby. You make me happy and you’re so sweet. But I also like spending time with Damien. He’s funny and we have a good time together. And I know this isn’t fair and I shouldn’t be doing this so I’m going to stop. I like you both, but not in the same ways. You’re like a brother, or a best friend. And I need that. Damien isn’t like that. So I’m going to date Damien. But can we still be friends?”

I nod. “Of course we can. Because you mean a lot to me too. Little sister.”

“You’re older than me by like seven weeks!” Ada protests, elbowing me.

“Six and a half actually.” I say, shoving her back. 

She smiles and I wrap my arm around her shoulders. That’s how we remain until Phoenix comes to collect us.