Chapter 43: Orlando

Song: I Can't Make You Love Me by Adele

----------

Chapter 43- Orlando

“Hey Brook! Wait up!” I call, as I make my way to the dining room.

Brook stops and when I catch up to her, I playfully shove her. She stumbles and I grab her elbow to steady her.

“Hey Brookie. What’s wrong?” I ask.

She looks up at me, her eyes red, tear tracks on her cheeks.

“What happened?” I ask, pulling her into an empty room.

“Austin left.” She says quietly.

“Left. What do you mean?”

“He kidnapped Kyoto. He’s partly possessed. The demon wants to enslave all of humanity. I have to kill it. But there’s no guarantee that killing it won’t kill Austin too.”

I sigh. “Brookie I am so sorry. I know this might be a bad time but there’s something I have to tell you.”

“What is it?” She asks.

“I lied to you that day in the meadow. It’s not Nova that I like. It’s you.”

“What?” She asks.

“I like you. I love you. And I know there’s nothing I can do about it. I can’t make you love me. Because I know Austin’s taken that place in your heart that you were saving for someone special but I promise I will always be here to support you and help you. I can be your best friend and  I can be your brother. And I promise that.”

At that moment, Brook starts to cry. I wrap my arms around her, pulling her close to me. Because right now we need each other. We need family. We need comfort.

              When Brook is all cried out we make our way to breakfast. It’s quiet but no one asks any questions. I think we all know something is happening. Something that is bigger than any of us can imagine. Something that is bigger than all of us. 

No one knows the truth about Austin. No one knows what he really is or what Brook has to do. We have to break Kyoto out soon. Now that Brook knows where he is thanks to Austin. There are times in my life when I’ve hated Austin. He took away the girl I love, but for all his flaws I’d never wish him dead. He’s family. He’s a brother. That means something to me. I want to save him. But I have to find a way to save him and our future. 

              It’s at this point that the complex’s warning bells go off. That means evacuate the building. I grab Brook’s hand and we race for the nearest exit. When we have all grouped outside, far away from the complex, the only thing that we can see are the charred remains of what was once our home. We’re now homeless, in the middle of a battle. Now may be a good time to panic.