Chapter 39: Lucia

Song: Come What May by Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGreggor

----------

Chapter  39: Lucia

I stroll into my room and drop my keys onto the desk. Driving is not as much fun as it appears. My eyes skim around the room looking for my book and when I find it, I head towards it. I pick it up, almost missing the pale pink paper folded on top. My name is written on one side of the paper in small, neat print. Handwriting my eyes have become accustomed to. His. I unfold the note impatiently, my eyes scanning the lines of neat print on the paper.

Lucia,

Please can you meet me in the rose garden at 7.30 pm. I have something important I need to discuss with you. Come alone and dress warmly. The forecast says it will be cold.

Yours,

Harper x

I sigh and look over my shoulder at the clock. The clock reads 19.23. Crap. I rush over to my wardrobe and pull on my scarf, gloves and hat. Impatiently, I shove my feet into my boots and pull on my coat before storming out of the room and out into the garden. The wind whips my face and I push my hair back impatiently, searching for Harper. I finally find him sitting under a tree in the furthest corner of the garden. I walk over slowly, taking my time and find him strumming his guitar and singing softly to himself.

“I’m here.” I announce coldly.

Harper turns his head, smiling when he sees me.

“If this is another song to apologise I’m going inside.” I say with a huff.

“It isn’t I assure you. I always use music so this time I’m going to use words.”

I sigh and sit on the bench, folding my arms over my chest.

“I’m so sorry. I know that means nothing to you but what you heard me say at the hospital wasn’t fair. They were words you should have heard very differently from me, not in a conversation I was having. That’s no excuse I know. I remember the day you first showed up at the complex. You were very young. You couldn’t have been more than six or seven. That would have meant I was around twelve or thirteen and I didn’t make a habit of socialising with the younger children. But the first time I saw you trying to teach Brook how to play chess I knew you were special. What six year old can play chess?”

I supress a giggle but allow a small smile and Harper visibly relaxes.

“I knew you were special, I did. But I never saw you as anything more than that until a few months ago. You heard me sing. You’re the first person who’s ever heard me sing. That song was so special to me and when I heard that it was also special to you, I felt like that was something we shared. Some special connection I guess. You only showed me you were more special still when you were willing to help me overcome problems I had with people, something no one else has ever noticed nor cared enough to notice. That night that you asked me to watch a movie with you was spectacular and I remember exactly what I was thinking throughout the whole thing. I couldn’t believe that you would willingly spend your free time with me. That you cared enough. That you wanted to. Then you asked me to dance with you and I didn’t think it could get any more perfect. We were so close and I decided now or never and I kissed you. I expected you to scream or run away but you did nothing. Then me being the idiot I am didn’t acknowledge you until you chased me to the coffee shop. Then I sang to you. And I knew this whole time I was selfish for keeping my tumour from you but I couldn’t help it. You were so special to me and I wanted to protect you. When I realised I’d forgotten you, I knew I couldn’t hurt you anymore. That’s the conversation you heard at the hospital. And I was explaining to Christian but he was then talking about a movie he once saw, Moulin Rouge and he said, the greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. And I knew I couldn’t leave you like this. So now I’m living by that saying. And if you’ll let me love you, we can be okay, I promise.”

Harper then stands up and kneels in front of me.

“What do you say? A lifetime of love?”

He holds a ring towards me and I gasp. I process this for a few moments. Harper just proposed to me. I think.

“Did you ask me what I think you did?”

“Will you be my wife?”

I nod. “Yes. Yes I will. I will be your wife and I will let you love me.”

He smiles and lifts me up, kissing me. He sets me down and slides the ring onto my finger.

“Now and forever.” He says.

I nod and smile.