Chapter 30: Harper

Song: Honesty by Billy Joel

----------

Chapter 30: Harper

Well you haven’t been inside my head for a long time. I don’t really know what to tell you. I mean, nothing interesting had happened. Well not really. Kyoto is still missing. Austin is acting weird. Brook thinks he’s bipolar. Christian and Beth got together, about time if you ask me. Nova and Phoenix got engaged and Beth announced that she will be taking custody of their daughter when she is born. Ada spends a large portion of her time hanging around with humans. So all in all nothing very interesting. I’m ill but no one knows. I can’t tell Lucia. Not now.

                I can hear her running to catch up with me in the hall so I enter the nearest room. Unfortunately, this room has no lock on the door so eventually she gets in.

“What is wrong with you?” She demands.

“Nothing.” I say.

“You’ve been avoiding me for three days. Whatever I did I’m sorry.”

“You didn’t do anything.”

“Then what are you not telling me?” She asks.

“Nothing.”

“You’re lying.” She says, sitting on the desk.

“No I’m not.”

“You are. When you lie you try to play the guitar with your hands.” She points out.

I look down at my hands and sure enough, I am trying to play the guitar. Except there’s no guitar there.

“So what is it? Come on. You can tell me.”

I shake my head. “I can’t.”

“Why?”

“Because I have to go into hospital in two days.”

“What?!” She yells.

“Luc calm down.”

“Why do you have to go to the hospital?” She asks.

“Surgery.”

“For what?!”

I shake my head.

“Harper!”

                “I have a tumour.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” She asks, blinking back tears.

“I didn’t want to force you into this. I’ve known since Christmas. That’s why I tried to brush you off that day when you followed me. I didn’t want you to have to go through this. You don’t have to.”

“What’s going to happen?” She asks.

“I’m having surgery to remove the tumour in two days. I should be okay. I’ll need time to recover but I should be fine.”

She falls into my arms and hugs me.

“I’m sorry.” She says.

“No. I should have told you.”

She smiles. “I’m coming with you. When you go into hospital I’m coming with you.”

“No but-”

“I’m coming.” She says.

“What if I’m different after my surgery?” I ask, suddenly scared.

“What do you mean?” Lucia asks, sitting on one of the tables beside me.

“What if I can’t remember anything? What if I don’t love you anymore?” I ask.

“You love me?” She asks.

“Of course I do.”

She smiles. “I love you too. And we’re going to get through this. You won’t forget anything. I promise.”

----------

This chapter makes me sad! I love Harper so much! :(

Thanks for reading!

Sarah xx