Chapter 2 - It's a long way to tiperrary

It was Monday we got the news. Edward had signed up. My mother came in, tears falling from her eyes when she came home from Aunt Margret. My dad looked proud, "do the boy a world of good, might teach him some discipline" he said. Edward Kinston was my cousin, from my mothers side, he was twenty and a total rogue, a frequent on Newcastle's nightlife, and had been rumored to have been spotted at the odd brothel. 

Too me, Edward wasn't just my cousin, he was my friend. He had been my personal source of information, from how to steal cookies when we were young and not get caught, to poaching on Lionel Harrogate's land, it gave us a kick knowing we could take back a little of what he stole from us in rent. Everyone knew he kept a huge chunk for himself. I sat down on the tattered arm chair and stared out the window, Oh Edward, what have you done? "Don't look like that Alice" snapped my father, my mother looked at him sharply but held her tongue, "he's doing his family and country proud" 

My father, always the patriot, not seeing the danger of this. "But-"

"Enough Alice!" shouted my father. I cowered and stayed silent, i knew my father was upset and was taking it out on us. "Alice, go check the horses" said my mother. 

I did as i was told and hurried out the room, I heard them shouting as I closed the door and trembled, it scared me when they fought, reminded me that they disagreed and not a perfect team all the time. "Hey girl" I said as Ruby nickered, her head popping over the door. She nudged my shoulder and i unbolted her stall and stepped inside. She stood sympathetically as I sobbed into her shoulder, she bent her head and breathed in my ear, her warm breath tickling my skin. I hugged her tightly, "don't ever let go girl" I said, she snorted and then went back to eating her hair. I released her and wiped my eyes, putting on a brave face, i was no weakling. 

I closed the door behind me as i left her stall and checked the others, they were alright, and after topping up their water i went on a walk, needing to clear my head. I decided to climb to the top of the hill, the weather wasn't to bad, just drizzling, dropping on the ground like tears escaping from heaven. 

I began the slippery climb, my feet occasionally slipping on the muddy path. I concentrated on breathing and my footing, it distracted me. Sheep dotted the hill and lay propped up against the ancient stone wall. Hopping lightly over the stream i landed in a puddle on the other side. "Shit" i muttered, noticing my soaked dress, it would take ages to clean. Ignoring it i carried on, the grass slippy under foot. 

After nearly forty minutes i reached the top of the hill. I sat on an old stone wall, the landscape sprawled out beneath me. Tears welled in my eyes, please protect him i prayed. I closed my eyes and i felt the patter of rain on my skin, the breeze played with my wind swept hair, lifting it and wisping it. "Bring him home" i begged. The strong breeze lifted the bottom of my dress and dried a tear, as if God was making me a promise. 

I stared down at the land before me. The rolling hills surrounded me, pockets of trees hid in the valleys and rivers and streams wove in and out intricately. I had always loved my landscape, from the high crags to the low valleys and sleepy hollows. Up here, i was invincible. 

It was six o'clock by the time i got home, my father was out and my aunt Dorothy sat in his place at the table. "What's going on?" i asked.

"Alice! Your soaked!" cried my mother, seeing my wet dress and wild hair. 

"What's going on?" i repeated.

"Edward got shipped out today" my aunt said quietly. 

"What!?" i screeched, my voice climbing higher and higher, "why didn't you tell me! I didn't get to say goodbye!"