Chapter 18 - Chaos is come again

Quote taken from 'Othello' by William Shakespeare

****************

Alice

**************

My world stopped, i suddenly felt dizzy. It was as if someone had slapped me, or punched me in the gut. The air left my lungs and then i turned to look at Edward. He didn't look at me, he was too busy glaring at Cecelia, who was smiling delicately at me. "Fiancee?" i repeated. She nodded.

"Yes, we've been engaged a year" 

"Why?" i asked, turning to Edward.

"Please, let's go outside, we don't want to cause a scene" Edward said, his voice flat.

"No!" i screeched, people starred but i was past caring. 

"Alice-" 

"Don't 'Alice' me!" i spat, "was i some kind of joke? Was this all some horrid trick, i trusted you! You said you LOVED ME" 

He flinched, "i do" 

"Edward don't be silly" said Cecelia.

"Shut it Cecelia" he warned. 

"How far were you going to take this?" i whispered, tears falling from my eyes.

"Please don't cry" he said, reaching for me, i jumped out his reach.

"How far?" i repeated, my voice shaking.

"I was going to call of the engagment"

"The hell you were!" spat Cecelia.

"Alice please" he begged. I shook my head, turning on my heel i fled the room, barging through a group of officers. I was so distraught i didn't notice a man looking at me, from the corner. I could hear Edward arguing with Cecelia and Johnny but i just didn't care. I stood outside the grand building and shivered in the cold. Sobs shook my chest and i trembled violently. "Alice?" said a voice behind me, it wasn't Edward's.

I spun around, and there stood Sebastian. "Oh great" i said, "now i'm dillusional too" 

He laughed, "what?" 

"You heard, besides, you aren't even real, how can you be?" 

"I'm real" he said, putting his hand on my arm. I flinched and he dropped it immediatly.

"What's wrong?" 

I stayed silent and collapsed to the floor, sobbing wildly, unable to control myself any longer. 

"Hush" he said softly, wrapping his strong arms around me. 

I sobbed into his chest, finding solace in his embrace. I sniffed and calmed myself after a few minutes and he handed me a hanky. "Better?" he asked, once i'd dried my eyes. I shook my head, it felt as if there was a huge hole in my heart. 

"Come on" he said, holding out his hand to me. I looked at it skeptically.

"Alice, it's fine" he said. 

"Alice" said Edward, "please let me explain" 

"So your the bastard" spat Sebastian, his voice full of contempt, "i don't know what you did but bloody hell your going to regret it"

"Alice, i swear i was going to break it off!" 

"I don't think i can believe you" i said softly, fresh tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Oh darling, please don't cry" he said, his voice tortured. 

"Edward, Cecelia will be missing you, you belong with her, i'm just another gutter snipe"