Chapter 27 - Revelations

Spring morphed into summer and soon summer neared it's end, and I was heading to back to France. My cravings had become more manageable, and I was writing with Edward more frequently. He told of how although the warmer weather was welcomed, it brought new problems. 

The rotting bodies stank in the heat and infection was rife. I prayed every night that Edward would return to me, safe and healthy. I sat staring out the window of the train as the british countryside lay sprawled out before my eyes. I hardly noticed as i was joined by others in the carriage, two soldiers sat across from me, both young men, who looked about twenty-five.

 One smiled at me and I smiled back, before gazing back out the window. "Penny for your thought?" asked one, grinning cockily. 

I smiled at them and said "Thinking of home" And Edward. 

"Yeah, i'll miss the old manor when we're back in france" said one, leaning back, clearly trying to show off.

"Manor?"

"Oh" he said, raising an eyebrow, "i'm surprised you haven't hear of it, Greenfell Manor, it's where we live"

"It sounds delightful" I lied, not looking at them.

"You should see the view from the master bedroom" he said, nudging my foot with his own, I looked at him to find him grinning. 

"What's your name, sweetheart?" he asked.

"Not one of consequence" I said sweetly.

"Oh common, you can tell us" he said, "I'm George, this young fools Bertie" he gestured to the quiet lad sitting beside him, his face was apologetic of his friend.

"Pleasure to meet you both" I said, looking once more out the window. 

"Miss-?" he said.

"Hardwick" I said, relenting. He looked taken aback, and then shocked.

"Pray tell, your first name?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes and said, "it is of little concern"

"You're a nurse, yes?" he said, well kinda obvious, since i'm wearing a uniform?

"Yes" I confirmed.

"Where?" he asked.

"A first response unit" i said.
"Your not the Alice Hardwick?" he said, his voice baffaled.

"Yes, my name is Alice Hardwick"

"I have to thank you" he said, looking shocked.

"Why on earth would you need to do that?" I half laughed in my surprise. 

"You saved me" he breathed.

"I very much doubt it, it would be more likely the man who healed you"
"No!" he insisted, "you drove us too St. Paul's that night, when St. George's was full"

I blushed furiously, "that was nothing, merely my duty"

The soldier reached across and placed his hand over my own, startling me. 

"It was not, you could have left us to die, but you didn't, you were incredibly brave and your bravery saved my life and the life of hundreds of others, for that i thank you"
I gazed at him, puzzled, trying to decifer him. I saw no humore in his eyes, only the upmost seriousness. I looked at him, and smiled softly, a smile usually reserved for close friends and family. "It was my pleasure, sir"

"George" he corrected quickly, "please call me George"

"Then you must call me Alice" i said, shaking his hand.