Chapter 8 - Reinforcements

Edward POV

*******************

I sat heaving heavily against a pile of rubble. We had taken heavy shelling over night and were now trapped in the village. The Krauts had moved up the east and taken that part of the village while we stil controlled the west. It was a deadly shoot out and in the end, only one side would keep the village. I touched my pocket, were i had safely tucked away Alice's letter. Cecilia had never bothered to write, and i found myself more and more intrugided by this extrodinary girl. In her last letter she had described the going's on between Doctor's and trainees 'simply shocking'. Her fast paced adventures took my mind away from the hell i was living. "What are you grinning about?" said Johnny, astonished. 

"Nothing" i said hastily. 

"Are you smitten sir?" joked Fenderson. 

"Who's the lucky lady then?" laughed Alaistair. 

"None of your damn business" i countered, grinning like a fool. 

"Come on, out with it!" Fenderson said.

"Some lass that he's been writing too" said Johnny. 

"Is she a lady sir?" asked Alaistair.

"Is she pretty?" asked Shells.

"No clue, only been writing letters" 

"She could be a right heffa" sniggered Johnny. 

"Don't be daft" i said, punching him in the arm. 

"Oi! It's true!" 

"He has a point sir" 

"Alright, enough chat back to it boys" McDaniels shouted over the noise of gunners. 

"Kingston, with me" i got up and followed the Captain and he talked to me in a low voice. 

"We cannot allow this village to be lost, understand?" he said.

"Yes sir"
"You and your men need to hold the front here, we're sending more troops to help at the square"
"Is that wise, sir? Surely that's what they'll be expecting" i said, frowning.

"Order's are order's Kingston" 

"Sir, yes, sir" i said, remembering not to salute and hurrying back to my men. 

"Right lads, looks like we're going to be holding the fort for a while, reinforcements are needed at the square" 

"Positions sir?" asked Alaistair. 

"Alaistair, you take left flank, Fenderson, your a bloody good shot, get up onto the roof, see if you can catch anyone sneaking," i handed him a rifle before i continued, "Giles take the right, Johnny go central and i'll stick round here and keep watch"
"Sir that put's you in the line of fire" protested Giles.

"Thanks for your concern, but just do it, i can manage" 

Johnny cast me a glance before jogging fifty meters down the road. I glanced around and found everyone where they should be and smiled a little, my men were good soldiers and us Gloucestershire boys stick together. I felt the small piece of paper over my heart and smiled fondly again, wriggling my toes in the warm socks Alice had sent and tucking my chin into the gloves too, it was beginning to get cold again, nothing like the blazing heat of the first few months. 

"Edward, look left" 

My attention shot in that direction and i spotted a german soldier trying to sneak through. "Send out a warning shot" i said. 

A loud crack broke the odd quiet but he kept coming, "again" i said.

Another shot, he still kept coming. "Alright, aim for legs"