Chapter 41 - New Arrival

Alice

**********

By the time we got to Gloucestershire, it was four o'clock. The station was bustling with life, people getting on and off, Edward explained lots of people went to London frequently, many commuting for work or simply going to stay in their town houses. The thought of a second home was alien, and it was hard to believe that all of it would soon become my life, when I, and if, I married him. 

Edward tugged me through the station towards the waiting chauffer. The man was around thirty five, and had thick black hair covered by a cap, and tiny creases in the corners of his eyes and mouth, like wadded up paper. He smiled at Edward, "afternoon sir"

"Good afternoon, Erikson" 

The man, Erikson, glanced at me with distain and held open the door for both of us. I slid into the back carefully and settled onto the plush seats. Edward shimmied along so we were close together, but I couldn't relax, consciencious the entire time of Erikson's judging eyes in the rear view mirror. 

 Gloucestershire flew past us as we sped down narrow country lanes lined with high hedges. They were nothing like the wild, overgrown ones that dominated my own landscape; they were trimmed neatly and orderly, as if each branch had been lined up with a ruler. 

I knew when we neared the house as Erikson seemed to speed up a little. I felt positively ill, my stomach knotting tightly and each nerve ending wired and alert. I'd rather face the Germans, I thought wryly. Flustered, I began to fiddle with my hair, smoothing it and fussing furiously over my make up, which with  great difficulty i'd applied on the train so it was fresh. Edward's hand clamped down over mine, preventing me from fretting further. "Relax" he instructed. I tried to steady my breathing and closed my eyes, as if I could blot it out for a brief moment. 

"Open your eyes" he commanded. When I did, I felt the air leave my lungs, literally. The house, no, mansion, was huge. More of a castle really, with high walls, and bay windows perfectly painted, a small fountain the centre piece of the drive way, which was the same size as a football field. All the servants were lined up outside, as were Lord and Lady Hampton. 

Initially i'd been confused, as Edward's surname was Kingston, but he'd explained the title came with a different name. I went to open the door as we stopped, but Edward shook his head, indicating I should wait. When Erikson opened the door, on Edward's side, I followed him out. He strode forward confidently, and I shrunk behind him, hoping to go unnoticed. "Father! Mother!" he said it with some bitterness, I expected this was not an all to happy reunion. His father, Lord Hampton hugged his son, Lady Hampton stood with an air of indifference, stiffly kissing her sons cheek then directing her icey gaze to me. 

"So this is the little chit" 

"Emily please!" cried Lord Hampton. Edward urged me forward, and with weak knees, I stood next to Edward. "L-l-lovely t-t-to m-meet you, my lady" I said, unsure if I should curtsey or shake hands or something, anything to break the awkward silence. Edward took my hand and gratefully Lord Hampton stepped in. "Pleasure to meet you" he said, shaking my hand. 

"Likewise, my lord"

Lord Hampton laughed, "call me David, this lot do" 

"Thank you" I said, smiling shyly at him. Edward looked somewhat relieved. Lady Hampton sniffed and complained about the cold then ushered us inside. Edward squeezed my hand reasurringly and chatted happily with his father, it took me a moment to realise that they'd asked me a question. "Sorry, yes, my uncle is a farmer"

"What about your father?" 

I gulped, biting my lip, and just said, "He is working away"

"Oh, you must miss him, sorry for bringing it up"