Chapter 24 - An unexpected Guest

Alice

***************

I stared at my father, my eyes widening. "Alice, it's true" he said. My throat constricted and i began hyperventilating, suddenly in need of another fix. "Alice, sweetheart, what's wrong?" 

When my father made a step towards me and suddenly my uncle was on his feet in a murderous rage. "Don't move any closer to her" he snarled. My eyes widened at the display. 

"She's my daughter" my father spat.

"You haven't been much of a father!" growled uncle.

"Alice, please!" begged my father. I ignored my aunts fussing and rose to my feet, i stopped a few feet from him and just glared. "Your alive" he said, overjoycing at the news.

"I'm surprised you noticed i was gone" i hissed. 

"Your my daughter" he said, arrogance dripping from his voice.

"You wouldn't think it, the way you've treated me the last nine months" 

"Alice that isn't fair!" he argued.

"It is completely fair! You kicked me out and would have left me to rot if not for Sebastian and Uncle i would have ended up on the streets!"

"You ran off, i was so worried and....i was drunk!"

"No shit" i said harshly. 

"Alice!" rebuked my aunt, i ignored her. 

"Alice, i just had to see you" he said, reaching out, i flinched and stepped away, my uncle stood in front of me. 

"Leave" he said.

"Alice, i'm sorry" he said, looking at me with eyes full of misery, "i need you! The farm isn't doing to well....Harrogate is threatening us, he want's favours i cannot grant!" 

"Pray tell of these favours" i said.

"He wants..." he looked like he was going to choke, "you!" 

My uncles fury intensified and he began screaming at my father, "How dare you! You come in here, after months of silence and then demand she what, marry that foul man?" 

"We have no choice, we're going broke, as your father i-" 

"You what?" i laughed, it was not a warm sound, but a cold one, lacking any kind of emotion other than hate, "command me? You have no power over me, you made sure of that nine months ago"

He looked at me, his eyes shining with hatred for his daughter, "your mother misses you" he spat. 

I was in the grips of my addiction again, needing more morphine too cope with the thousand emotions flooding over the gates guarding my fragile heart. "Morphine" i begged, my knees giving out. My uncle caught me and lifted me, "come on, pet" he said, carrying me to my room, tucking me into bed as if i were a child. He kissed me softly on the forehead, "sleep well, Ally"

He left, closing the door behind him. I heard the door click as he locked it, preventing me from running amock if the addiction became too much. I had knew i had to fight, because i had something to fight for, for Edward, for my family, i could not loose myself, i would not loose myself. 

****

The next day I was up and dressed by nine, my door was open and I headed out, sitting down at the table. There was a steaming bowl of porrige waiting for me, and I ate up gladly. "Morning" i said, smiling at my aunt, attempting to act like nothing had happened. She turned and smiled at me. "I need some things picking up from the village today, would you mind running in?"