Chapter 39 - By the light of the moon

Alice 

**********

The sky was crimson and gold as the sun descended that evening. It was quite warm, though due to clear skies threatened to be cold later, so I wrapped myself with a shawl that hung lightly from my shoulders. I was finishing up in my room, making sure I looked perfect for tonight. Edward was back, and getting ready himself, though I suspected he'd finished as earlier I had heard the door close across the corridor and the sound of footsteps. 

I rose from the stool and stood in front of the mirror, inspecting my reflection. I straightened my dress. It was pale pink and stopped mid-calf. It was fairly figure hugging, but left enough room for modesty, I usually never got clothes like this, but it was bought for the engagement party, thankfully we'd never had one so i'd never gotten to wear it, meaning it wasn't tarnished by dark memories. 

I had found some light red lipstick among my things and my aunt had let me use some rose scented perfume. I applied it liberally on my wrists and neck, before placing the pearls around my throat. The pearl necklace was a family heirloom, and had been in my family since the 1700s, they bore the marks of age, the gold clasp slightly faded. Although I knew I shouldn't expect too much so soon, I couldn't help but wish my left hand wasn't so bare; it had once borne a ring of inslavement, now I wished it too bear one of a different kind. 

Bending down, I picked up my satin shoes, the ones i'd worn years earlier to the officers ball. It was funny to think of it as years, it seemed like yesterday. 

Slipping my feet into them, I checked myself from every angle again before getting up and exiting the room. I walked down the corridor, hearing the clicking of my shoes on the stone floors. When I came into the kitchen, I found Edward sat at the table, seeing him just made my heart tighten.  

He looked up and his eyes racked over my body as I stepped through the door, making me blush, but the minute his eyes met mine, I was powerless to look away. My aunt and mother gushed over how 'grown up' I was. Edward stood and took my hand, he was wearing a suite, and I couldn't get over how handsome he was. "Will I do?" I teased. He took my hand and kissed my knuckles, his eyes never leaving mine, "You're perfect" 

I must've turned crimson as I felt my cheeks flame and my lips part slightly. "Go on! Or you'll be late!" hurried my uncle. We walked out the house and too my surprise a car was waiting for us. "What's all this?" I asked.

"It's a special night" said Edward, leading me down the steps and helping me into the back before sliding in next to me. "Edward you shouldn't of" I said.

"I really should" he said, taking my hand, and pulling me into his side, I relaxed instantly against the hard mucles of his chest and felt his strong arms around me. 

We sat in a comfortable silence on the way, just enjoying each others company and the beautiful evening outside. When we got to the pub, it was packed, and everyone in the village seemed to have shown up. Edward helped me out the car and took my arm, whisking me inside. 

All eyes instantly spun to the new and mysterious stranger hanging off my arm. People turned and muttered to one another and I blushed, concealing my face behind my hair. Edward strode confidently over to a corner table and I slipped into the booth, grateful to be hidden slightly, "I'll get us drinks, what would you like?" 

"Anything" I said meakly. 

He shrugged and walked over to the bar, the eyes of everyone following him as he went. Synthia was glowering at me, and Ryan and his friends looked somewhat jealous of the attention this newcomer was recieving. I noticed Sebastian was abscent, then again, I knew this might be too much for him to cope with but to all of us, he was a village war hero, even if he hid in his manor away from us now.