Chapter 37 - Family

Alice 

***********

I gulped. "That, he was my fiancee" 

"I gathered" Edward said dryly, "but...why?"

Tears were gathering again, but I pushed them back, not wanting to cry again. "We're in trouble, if the farm can't keep up with the rent, we're turned out, this...marriage would mean finacial security, the old bastard said he'd wanted me for a long time, but now he has the means to have me" 

He looked shocked but I continued, "I had no choice, my family were against it, but I couldn't stand by and watch them take our home, Harrogate is friends with the duke, and makes a descent salary"

Compassion crossed his face, and he hugged me close, "don't worry, i'll sort this out" 

I nodded, and there was so much conviction in his voice, I had no doubt he would. Pulling back, he swept some hair off my face and kissed me lightly, before taking my hand in his, stroking his thumb across the pad of my palm. "Do you want to meet my family?" I asked shakily.

He laughed at my nerves, "of course" he said, gesturing to the road in front, "lead the way"

I joined his laughter and pulled him after me down the road. We ran to the end of the lane and he followed me down the winding country paths till we came to my drive. "Bet you can't catch me" I said, sprinting away from him. Grinning like a fool, he took the bait and followed. Clearly he had underestimated my speed and was fair distance behind me. When I lost sight of him, I stopped, confounded and confused by his disappearance. 

Suddenly strong arms wound around my middle and hoisted me off the ground. I screamed and thrashed until I heard amused laughter and groaned, "Edward!"

He turned me in his arms and grinned wolfishly up at me, I hadn't noticed he was still holding me up. "Put me down!" I said, trying and failing to sound serious. In response he just lifted me higher, my hands flew out to rest on his shoulders, and he laughed harder, before swinging me round and then placing me on the ground, dizzy and breathless. 

"You....you...." I said, pointing an accusing finger at him, he snatched it in his hand and kissed it. 

"Yes?" he said, raising an eyebrow. 

"You.."

"I think you've said that one" I laughed at his mocking, and lightly slapped him on the arm. He feigned hurt and I leaned forward as his lips met mine. I couldn't get used to it, and his kiss left me lightheaded and my heart fluttering. 

"I believe we were going to your house?" he said.

"Of course!" I said, pulling him along behind me. He came willingly and I walked in through the kitchen, hoping we might not be spotted, not the case as everyone was sat in the kitchen. 

"Alice, who's this?" asked my uncle, his voice careful and restrained.

"Ummm" I couldn't summon up an answer, so Edward took the lead, oozing confidence. 

"Edward Kingston, nice to meet you" He extended his hand and my uncle stood up from his chair and took it, shaking it.

My Aunt and mother looked sick, "Forgive me, but we were told you were...?" The brief silence that followed was uncomfortable but shortlived as Edward interjected. "Dead? They assumed, and they were wrong" 

"Yes, so it would seem, it's lovely to meet you" said my mother. My aunt was pretty pale, so I dashed to the sink and poured her a glass of water. She took it gratefully and gulped it down mercifully.