Chapter 34 - Unfortunate one

Alice 

*************

Getting back to life in the village was much harder than I imagined it being. When I walked into the village, I was greeted with a heroes welcome, but in general, despite being busy on the farm and such, I was so used to the chaos of the war, that it seemed to tranquil, and too tame for what I was used to. 

Fear was also not helping. With still no word from Edward, I was starting to think he really had died. I hoped instead he was alive and well, maybe just settling at home before coming to see me. 

I got back from riding and put Ruby back in her stable, before heading up to the house. When I got there, I was appaulled to find Lionol Harrogate drinking tea at the table.

"Mr Harrogate" I said stiffly.

"Miss Hardwick" he said, standing up, "welcome home"

"Thank you sir" I said. 

"I don't suppose I could have a moment with Alice, alone?"

My uncles glare heated and my aunt looked at him, "come dear" she said, giving me a cautious warning.

"We'll be in the next room" he told me. They got up and left, my uncle's eyes not leaving Harrogate till he closed the door behind him.

"Right, well i'll cut to the chase, shall I?" he said.

"Sir," I said, "I'm not sure I understand?"

"Alice, surely, you must know why I am here?"

I shook my head, "can't say I do"

"You know your parents recently lost their farm" he said, "they couldn't keep up with the tenancy"

"Yes" 

"I'll be blunt, your aunt and uncle are heading the same way, it isn't their fault, but the economic climate isn't great"

I gasped and walked over to the window, looking out on the land. "They need money, if they don't pay the next rent, the farm will go"

"What can be done?"

"They need to sell more crop, of course your uncle is selling more livestock than he can afford to make up the losses, but still, more will have to go if the situation does not improve"

My eyes unwillingly flited to Ruby. "I'm amazed that horse of yours hasn't gone, but your uncle didn't wish to upset while you were away"

"He is very kind, my uncle"

"Too kind" said Harrogate, "Look, the farm needs a cash injection to save it, and I know how you can do it"

I turned to him, my eyes filled with dispair, "Please sir, if there is a way...tell me"

"Marry me, Alice" he said, a horrid smile creeping across his features.

"What?" I said, half shrieking.

"You know, I have admired you quite some time, you're young and pretty and well admired in the village, you'd make a rather good wife"

"Why?"

"I've wanted to fuck you since you were fifteen" he said, a sick look on his face, hands balled into fists, "of course, I never had leverage, till now"

"Mr Harrogate! This is very forward!"

"Don't go giving yourself airs you've no right too" he spat, "I know that officer of yours is pressumed dead to, so don't think he'll save you"

His words stung like a slap, and I took a deep breath to restrain the anger building inside me.

"You would save the farm, I could invest, put money back into and you could keep the horse you seem to care for, your aunt and uncle could keep their land"