Chapter 26

PIPER'S P.O.V.

"Harry! What are you doing here? Oh my god!"

I ran over to the doorway and jumped into his arms. I had never been more excited to see someone in my life; I didn't even care that he planned it behind my back with my mother. But, he seemed distant in our embrace and pulled away from me sooner than I would have liked.

James started to walk toward us and I waved him over.

"James, this is Harry! Harry, James. I'm so glad you guys can finally meet!"

They shook hands coldly and Harry looked back to me. 

"So, what were you two talking about that was so funny?"

"Well, I was telling James that I needed a research topic for my Marine Biology paper and he suggested manatees, but they aren't even marine, so he said..."

Harry looked at me with a look of complete confusion and I realized that his question was rhetorical.

"We need to talk, Piper." He glared at James and continued, "alone."

He didn't even give me the chance to answer before grabbing my arm firmly and pulling me toward the stairs. When we got to my old room, he slammed the door shut behind him.

"What the fuck, Piper?"

"What? What did I do?"

"Really? You don't see how that looked?"

"Me and James? We were just talking! We're just friends and that was really rude for you to just pull me away in the middle of a conversation."

"Nice to see you, too."

"Harry, I'm so so happy that you're here! I just really wanted you to get to know him and my other friends but you instantly scared him off; You didn't even give him a chance!"

"How do you think I felt? I planned to surprise you but, hell, you surprise me! Coming to your brother's party with that pretentious asshole!"

"Ashlee was supposed to come, too! He's only a friend, Harry. Honestly, it means nothing!"

"Then, why are you okay with introducing him to your family and not me?"

He didn't seem angry anymore; he seemed hurt.

"Harry, is that what you think? That I don't want you to meet my family? I just didn't want to scare you off by moving to quickly. My parents are pretty intense as it is, which I'm sure you know now, and I didn't want you to think that I was more serious about our relationship than you were."

I saw him begin to calm down; at least he was no longer seething. I walked closer to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, laying my head against his chest. He finally brought his hands to my hips and held me there for a while.

"This doesn't mean I'll talk to him. I just don't want to waste the little time we have this weekend fighting."

He placed a small kiss on the top of my of my head and I nuzzled into his neck.

"You know, last night was fun and all, but now that you're here..."

I let my voice trail off as I pulled away from him and sat on my bed. He still wasn't in a good mood but seeing him so lively really turned me on. He let out a deep breath and walked to where I was sitting and I spread my knees apart to make room for him. He stood there, playing with my hair.

"I'm really don't trust him, Piper. I see the way he looks at you."

I tug on his shirt so that he's at eye level with me.