Chapter 41

PIPER’S P.O.V.

Harry walks toward me, stopping about a foot away. We’re in a completely dark room, but I can see him perfectly. His face doesn’t seem soft and calm like it normally does. He seems upset and hateful. I try to lift my arms up to rest them on his shoulders, but he swats them away.

“What the hell, Piper?”

“What’s wrong?”

“Why don’t you just drop the charges? I’m going to leave you either way.”

I’m shocked; speechless. He backs away from me and looks disgusted.

“You’re really going to let my career go down the drain? If you really loved me, you would realize that I’m only saying not to because I don’t want to sound like a dick.”

“Harry, I want to drop the charges, but what if he hurts me?”

“I never liked you being around him; it’s your problem now.”

I reach out but he seems farther away, almost as if the room is stretching, pulling him away. He doesn’t seem to care, though. He looks happy to be leaving. Eventually, he is gone; out of sight completely. I collapse on the floor and pound my fists on the floor, sobbing profusely.

I woke up in tears, confused as to whether that was real or not. After sitting up in bed, I came to the conclusion that I was dreaming. Either way, it was awful. I reached over and held my phone. I had 3 new messages from Harry, whom I forgot was texting me from the plane. It was 4 o’clock in the afternoon, meaning he would have landed. I found his number in my favorites and sniffled to hide the fact that I was crying. The phone rang and rang and I eventually decided he wouldn’t answer. 

“Hey, it’s Harry. Leave a message and I just might call you back.”

“Hey, babe. It’s me, Piper. I’m sorry I didn’t see your messages; I passed out. Please, call me. I had a terrible dream and I just want to hear your voice.”

I could have thought of a lot of things to say, but decided to save that for a real conversation. My mind is fuzzy and I just feel out of sorts.

“Anyway, I love you and hope you made it back safe. Call me soon. Bye.”

As soon as I hung up, I went to my messages. I found that all of his texts came through hours before. 

*FROM: Harry

Planes are so boring.*

*FROM: Harry

I’m on twitter. Found some cute pictures of us at IHOP.*

*FROM: Harry

Either you went to class or fell asleep. Just landed. Love you.*

I hoped he would call me back soon because I was in such a daze and just wanted to talk to him. I thought about going to talk to Riley or Cory, but they were probably irritated with me for my attitude that morning. Either way, I hungry. I walked out of my door and Cory was watching TV on the couch, not turning to look at me. I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, searching for something edible. I could some turkey and made a quick sandwich. After a few minutes, Cory walked in and leaned against the counter.

“Are you feeling better now?”

“No, but I am sorry for how I reacted. I was just overwhelmed.”

“It’s okay, I understand. Who was that girl that came by?”

I didn’t want to get into this with him again, but really had no choice.