Chapter 51

CORY’S P.O.V.

After being in my room for a few minutes, I heard things I never wanted to hear coming from Riley’s bedroom. Piper was right. I should have just stayed with mom and dad. The worst part is that Liam seemed like a nice guy. Why couldn’t he be an asshole so I could have a right to hate him? I wanted to hate him so bad. But, the fact that they wasted no time to start fucking told me I had no reason to believe she’d ever be running into my arms again. I really needed to move on.

I just couldn’t help but to wonder why he got her. I knew her my entire life. I know the things that make her sad. The things that make her laugh. I know that she doesn’t like peaches because of the texture, but her favorite sorbet is peach. I know that she’s afraid of the ocean because she can’t see what’s under her. I know that she likes to sing in the shower, even though she’s absolutely terrible.

So, why did this new guy swoop in and take her? I never stood a chance against Liam Payne, pop superstar. He has everything any girl could dream of. He’s good looking, rich, powerful. She could never choose me when people like him exist. Or could she? Riley wasn’t that type of person. She wasn’t obsessed with money or popularity. She was the only girl in high school who ever talked to me, even though I was younger and a complete loser. She could care less what they said about her behind her back. She always told me, “Cor, they just don’t know how great you are. If they did, they’d just be jealous of me for being your friend.”

No, I could have had my chance. If I wasn’t such a goddamned coward. All the time we spent together when Matt was alive. We had so much alone time, but every time I had the opportunity to kiss her, I chickened out. I only went for it when it was too fucking late. Why am I such a wimp?

No more. I can’t do it. I need to move on. I start college in a couple months and I don’t know anyone! What have I been wasting this past month doing? Sitting in my room and cutting my arms to shreds. I couldn’t let this whole thing get me down.

My mind boggled back and forth as I drifted off into a deep sleep.

_____

When I woke up, my head felt fuzzy and I knew I slept too long. I rolled over and checked my phone. 7:00 pm. I slept all damn day. I held my phone and skimmed through messages I’d ignored in the past 24 hours.

*FROM: Piper

We’re in London! It’s great!*

Attached was a picture of Harry and her sitting on a couch. She looked happy and I knew I had Harry to thank for that. I couldn’t imagine how miserable she would have been after what James did if Harry didn’t swoop in and love her. James. I couldn’t believe it was taking so long to put him behind bars. The court dates and such were so ridiculous. He raped her. That’s that. I was glad she was gone. London would be good for her.

*FROM: Mom

Hi, sweetheart. I hope you’re going to have fun tonight. I don’t wanna hear that you’re cooped up in your room again.*

I rolled my eyes and replied.

*TO: Mom

I think I’ll come stay with you guys.*

I didn’t have any other messages. Only two. From my mom and my sister. I really needed to get out more. I sat up and wiped the sleep out of my eyes. I retrieved a shirt and walked out into the living room. Riley was in the kitchen making a cocktail in a skin tight costume. I couldn’t tell what it was yet, but the amount of leather and spandex was already sexy. Her hair was pin straight and her makeup was much more drastic than usual. I contemplated turning around and returning to my room before she saw me, but she looked up before I could.