Chapter 39

PIPER’S P.OV.

Harry had been gone for a few minutes. I had no idea how long to expect him to be gone because I had no idea what James was going to say. I turned on the radio, trying to distract myself. It didn’t work. I held my phone in my hand and stared at it for a while. I reached into my purse and pulled out a small card my mom had given me the day before. I quickly typed in the number and pressed send before I could change my mind.

“Dr. Edwards.”

“Hi, it’s- it’s Piper Nielsen.”

“Piper! I’m so glad to hear from you! It’s been a while.”

“Yeah, I know. I really need to make an appointment.”

She sounded relieved yet shocked to hear from me personally, willingly making an appointment to talk to her.

“Of course! What’s your schedule like Wednesday?”

“Do you have something available in the afternoon?”

“Two o’clock okay?”

“Perfect.”

“Great. Bring your insurance information so we can update everything.”

“Alright, thanks.”

“No problem. Looking forward to seeing you.”

When I hung up, I let out a sigh of relief. The first part was done; now I just had to show up and actually talk to her. I looked up and saw Harry walking out of the automatic doors with balled fists. He was angry. He was muttering to himself with gritted teeth when he reached the car. I unlocked the doors and he threw his body into the driver’s seat. He was literally shaking with anger and I didn’t even know what to say. I simply placed a hand on his shoulder but he furiously pushed it away, looking angry enough to hit me. I was shocked by his behavior. What the hell did James say? He finally looked at me, obviously noticing my confusion and fear.

“Piper, I’m sorry. I don’t know why I did that. I’m just so fucking pissed!”

He was yelling toward the end, but I wasn’t afraid anymore. He was just upset at James.

“Do you want to tell me what happened?”

“No.”

I looked at him with pleading eyes. He started to breathe normally, calming down a little bit, his hands resting on his thighs.

“Fine. He knows it was me. He wants you to drop the charges against him or he’ll ruin my career and probably press charges against me.”

“Oh my god.”

I clasped my mouth with my hand, completely shocked. 

“He was so fucking calm. He’s an evil bastard. He thinks he’s going to get his way; he’s so sure of himself.”

“Well, what other option do we have?”

“Are you fucking kidding? You’re not dropping charges. I don’t care what the fuck he does; he’s not getting away with what he did to you.”

Was he being serious? He couldn’t lose everything because of me; I would never let him do that.

“You can’t be serious, Harry. I’ll just drop the charges and stay away from him.”

“NO! Piper, he’s going to be behind bars, even if it means I will be too.”

He was getting angry again, hitting the steering wheel hard with the palms of his hands. I reached over and rested my hand on his thigh, stroking it gently to try to calm him.