Chapter 49

LIAM’S P.O.V.

The entire car ride, I couldn’t stop staring at Riley. She looked so beautiful and happy. I hated that so much time had been wasted over Piper’s brother. When he moved in, I didn’t think twice about it. He was Piper’s younger brother and Riley told me he was like family to her. After she slept with him, I kept replaying it in my mind. I thought ‘they have to be doing it all the time’. I was honestly just done with it all. If I hadn’t gotten drunk that day and called her, I probably would have never re-thought the entire thing. I reconsidered the type of person she had proven herself to be in the short time I had known her. I knew she wasn’t a slut. I knew she wasn’t mean-spirited. She was just a little naive. I knew it would be difficult, but I had full intentions from that moment on to work past the dilemma. I just had to get past meeting Cory.

“How much farther?”

“Just a couple minutes. It’s at that next light.”

I rested my hand on her thigh and followed her finger to the light a few hundred yards away. She turned on her blinker and we pulled into the campus. It was early and many people were walking to what I would assume to be their classes. I rolled my window down and rested my hand outside of it, feeling the cool air run through my fingers.

“Jesus, Liam, it’s so cold!”

It was not cold at all.

“What? This isn’t cold, love.”

“It’s in the fifties!”

“You are absolutely a Florida girl. I don’t even want to know how you’ll react to the UK this time of year.”

I almost wanted to take back my choice of words. Perhaps I should have said ‘you would’ instead of ‘you will’. How did I know she would ever want to go back home with me? I didn’t want to push the envelope after the rough few weeks we’d had. We were supposed to be starting things over, not picking up where they left off and jumping ahead a month. Even before it all went to shit, we hardly saw each other; we just talked all the time. 

“Hey, you take me to England and I won’t even complain about freezing temperatures.”

She grinned and I let my nerves settle a little. I guess it wasn’t that big of a jump to consider going to England. I was visiting her; there wasn’t much of a difference. Home just seemed so far away. Riley pulled into a parking space not far from the door and I grabbed my bag from the back seat before meeting her behind the car and holding her hand in mine. We entered the building and stepped into the elevator without seeing anyone, which was a relief. Once we reached her floor, the doors opened to reveal a blonde girl waiting for the lift. Riley’s hand tensed up and she cursed under her breath.

“Hi, Riley!”

The girl seemed friendly, but she also looked familiar and I could tell Riley was uncomfortable. She pulled me through the doors, but the other girl didn’t step into the lift. We turned to face her and she crossed her arms, making me even feel intimidated.

“Rebecca...”

Riley nodded politely and we stood awkwardly as the lift doors closed with no one on the other side. Rebecca didn’t budge and didn’t even seem to care.

“How have you guys been? I heard some guy is living with you guys now.”

She glances at me with a wicked smile before returning her attention to Riley.

“Uhh, you must mean Piper’s brother?”

“Hmm. Didn’t know it was her brother. I heard he was hot. I never see him around, though.”