Chapter 57

JAMES’ P.O.V.

I knew they wouldn’t find any hard proof. I was careful this time; I cleaned up after. I wasn’t going to make the same mistake as before. None of this would have even happened if Ashlee hadn’t decided she was a fucking lesbian. I was getting bored of her anyway. I wasn’t used to keeping it up with one girl that long.

“Okay, how would the plaintiff’s attorney like to proceed?”

The judge looked over to Piper’s side of the room and I followed her gaze. Of course they gave us a goddamned woman for a judge. I could tell she was already taking Piper’s side. They always take the girl’s side. Piper’s lawyer stood up and approached the judge.

“I would like to call Ms. Piper Nielsen to the stand.”

I stared at Piper, ignoring Harry’s hateful glare. Piper stood up and pushed her hair away from her face nervously before stepping around Harry and approaching the stand. She stood in front of the swearing officer and he spoke loud and clearly.

“Ms. Nielsen, do you solemnly affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

“Yes.”

She voice cracked and she cleared her throat before walking up the steps and sitting next to the judge.

“Ms. Nielsen, can you tell us what happened on the evening of the fourth of October, 2013?”

Piper’s eyes searched the room and seemed to settle on her parents. Her mom smiled and nodded encouragingly.

“I had James over to study with me for Psychology. We drank some wine, but I spilled my first glass half-way through. James got me a new one and about a half an hour after I drank it, I slowly faded and lost any control or consciousness. The last thing I remember is being unable to move and James stood over me, telling me to go to sleep, and then he-“

She choked and wiped under her eyes.

“He was laying on my bed and kissing me. I couldn’t stop him or speak or anything.”

She was crying and looked absolutely pathetic.

“Thank you, Piper. You can step down.”

She nodded and walked back to her seat. Harry placed his hand on her shoulder and whispered something to her. She nodded to him and seemed to be assuring him that she was okay. I physically had to stop myself from laughing at her.

“I would like to now call Ms. Riley Furst to the stand.”

Piper’s stupid blonde friend stood up and slowly made her way up to the front of the courtroom. She tugged at her tight skirt and I could tell she was nervous. I’m good at noticing when a girl is vulnerable. She stepped up and sat behind the wooden stand, eyes nervously shifting around. They landed on me and she glared with glassy eyes. I smirked and turned my gaze back to Piper. She really was careless to bring Harry with her. 

“Ms. Furst, do you solemnly affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

“Yes, I do.”

The officer stepped aside and Riley adjusted her sitting position, looking at Piper’s attorney with a ready stare.

“Ms. Furst, where were you on the evening of October the fourth, 2013?”

“I was at a restaurant down the street from my dorm with Cory Nielsen.”

“Piper’s brother, correct?”