Chapter 65

HARRY’S P.O.V.

Piper had been asleep for three hours. I never fell asleep, though. I laid with her limp body curled up next to me for an hour before I heard Andy whining outside our door. I knew Liam stuck around when we disappeared into our room and it was probably a good time to relieve him of his babysitting duties. I carefully removed Piper’s arm from over my waist and placed it softly on the pillow I previously occupied. I slipped out of the covers and she shifted around, still fast asleep, until she settled on clutching the pillow I left behind. I gazed at her sleeping figure for a minute, admiring how calm she was this way. There were no lines of worry and confusion between her eyes; no emotional pout on her perfect lips. I wished all of the resurfacing pain could just go away. I missed how lively and bubbly she used to be. It may sound selfish, but I missed  when she picked up the pieces I had left behind instead of the other way around. She’s so much stronger than I am.

I slid on the joggers I was wearing earlier and found a t-shirt in my luggage. Once I was clothed, I quietly left our bedroom, shushing Andy while the door was open.

“Daddy! I’m hungry!”

I walked over to the couch where Liam was sitting with my daughter and sat down on the other side of her.

“She’s been whining since she woke up from her nap. I didn’t know what you wanted me to feed her.”

“No worries, Li. Thanks for watching her.”

Andy climbed up on my lap and wrapped her arms around my neck, kissing my cheek.

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

Andy started to bounce around on my lap, trying to get my attention. I stood up and carried her on my hip, walking toward the kitchen. Liam followed.

“I would if I could. I’m sorry, but honestly, I wasn’t even meant to know.”

Liam sighed and leaned against the counter. I handed Andrea over to him before I opened the fridge, skimming over the food I had bought before Andy and Piper’s arrival. I pulled out a loaf of bread and some strawberry jelly and found peanut butter in the cupboard.

“I’m guessing she isn’t going to tell Riley then?”

“No, Liam. She can’t,” I wasn’t really sure how to get the severity of it all through to him without giving something away, “Just trust me. It won’t help anyone if more people know about this sh-“ I caught myself and my eyes shifted to Andy who was watching me intently, “-stuff.”

I turned around and quickly made a sandwich for Andy, cutting the crusts off like she likes it. I cut it into fourths and set it down at the table. Liam put her down and she ran over to the chair nearest her food, climbing onto it quickly. Once she was settled and eating, I re-joined Liam in the kitchen, speaking in a hushed voice.

“It really has nothing to do with me, Li. I’m not trying to hide anything from you. It’s not even up to Piper. Just try to divert Riley’s attention when they get here this weekend.”

Liam crossed his arms, but nodded in agreement.

“Oh, and I want to get Piper out today. She needs to find something to wear for tomorrow and I thought maybe Eleanor and Perrie could take her; maybe distract her from everything. Have you seen anyone today?”

“No, I haven’t, but if you don’t need me anymore, I was going to go see if Zayn wanted to hang out. Want me to send Perrie over here?”

“Sure, thanks mate. Seriously, thank you so much for helping out with her.”