Chapter 56

CORY’S P.O.V.

The past few days had been absolute shit. Sure, the past month was awful, but nothing compared to the events following the Halloween party. I tried to fight Liam and Riley wasn’t speaking to me. I was such an asshole that night. I just didn’t know what to do. I was so upset and overwhelmed that I drank and drank until I couldn’t think for myself anymore. Not thinking seemed like my best option at the time. It was Sunday and I was still at my parents’ house. Liam was leaving the next day, so at least I could go back then. I needed to properly apologize to Riley and I was actually relieved that Piper was coming home. I felt like talking to her would make me feel better. It seemed to help last time. I had no one else to be strong for besides my parents and they weren’t really helpful to talk to. I needed my sister.

“Cory, sweetie, what do you want for dinner?”

“Uh- it doesn’t matter mom.”

She had been trying to make my favorite foods and put on my favorite films to make me happy. I tried to put on a happy face, but mom always saw through that.

“How about Spaghetti? Is that still your favorite?”

“Only when you cook it. Spaghetti sounds good.”

She grinned and disappeared back into the kitchen. I immediately heard the clanging of pots and pans as she prepared our meal a bit early. My dad was sleeping in his chair and I sat in the adjacent couch, staring blankly at the muted television. I really felt pathetic. I wished I could be happy, but it didn’t seem like an option for me. What seemed to be minutes later, my mom called my dad and I to the table for dinner. We sat down in our usual spots, but something felt off. Maybe it was Piper not being there, or the fact that my mom watched my every move, probably trying to gauge how upset I was. She’d never understand. I just wanted to put on a fake smile so I could be out of there as soon as possible.

“Are you ready to talk about what happened last night, Cory?”

She was choosing her words carefully, trying not to set me off.

“No.”

I didn’t want to be rude to my mom, but I didn’t want to talk about it. She was acting like I was a five year old who got in trouble.

“It’ll help if you get it out.”

“I don’t want to talk about it, mom!”

I snapped and wished I could take it back immediately. Her expression was flooded in concern.

“Honey, maybe you should go see Dr. Edwards.”

“What the hell? I don’t need to see a shrink. I wasn’t raped.”

Why was I acting like a child? I felt like I needed a retort for everything she said and I couldn’t decide why. I couldn’t believe I brought Piper into this.

“Cory, your mother is trying to help.”

My dad looked angry, but he maintained his composure. Mom wasn’t so calm.

“Why would you bring your sister into this? She’s been through a lot, too, Cory, and she hasn’t once stopped worrying about you. Why don’t you care about her?”

I stood up and my chair flew back, screeching against the wood floor.

“How can you even say that? I care about Piper more than anyone! I HATE myself for what happened to her! I was there, mom! I was in the same dorm as them and didn’t know anything was wrong because I was selfish. Why did I sleep with Riley? If I didn’t, Piper might have been okay and I wouldn’t be sick in love with a girl who loves someone else!”