Chapter 28

HARRY'S P.O.V.

Piper had been dragging me around all night introducing me to people I would never remember. Some of her family members were really nice and all but it had been a long day. They started to leave, a few at a time and once almost everyone was gone, I told her I was going to get some cake. She nodded me off to let me know she didn't mind so I walked over to the kitchen. I grabbed a piece of cake along with a champagne flute, finding a table outside by an illuminated tree. Then, as if he had been waiting for me to break away from Piper, James approached me, sitting in the empty chair next to me.

"So, eventful day, huh?"

"What's it to you?"

I hadn't meant to be so blatantly rude but I couldn't help it. I didn't trust the guy and he had way too much alone time with my girlfriend.

"Nothing. Just making conversation. Piper's been wanting us to meet for a while so I thought I'd make her happy."

That last point infuriated me. I didn't know this guy in front of me, insinuating that he made Piper happier than I did. 

"I don't know who you think you are, but you need to back the fuck off. I'm not going to try to get Piper to stop seeing you because I know it won't help our relationship, but where the hell do you get off thinking you can step in when I'm gone? I see what you're doing and it won't work."

I honestly surprised myself by snapping at him like that but the moment he came into the picture, I knew he would be trouble.

"Jesus. We just met and you want to start it off like this? What would Piper think?"

He smiled at me, slyly, like he was innocent and angelic.

"She would think that I was being territorial but would understand that it's because I love her."

"Ohhhh, love. Right. Well, don't worry, I won't tell her everything you said to me because that's just not my style. I don't think she'll need my help in realizing that you two won't last long."

He was so sure of himself and even though I was bigger than him, it was intimidating. I clenched my fist but stayed in my seat, knowing that hitting him would cause unnecessary drama with Piper.

"If you know what's good for you, James, you'll remember that the two of you are only friends. Just keep your space."

"I'm really scared, Harry. Please, don't hurt me."

He pretended to beg and then laughed to himself as he stood up from his chair.

"You're going to break her heart, and I'll be the one to pick up the pieces."

With that, he walked away, not looking back once. I saw him say goodbye to Piper and Riley before walking outside. What the hell is wrong with him? If we weren't at a family party, I would have hit him the second he brought up Piper the first time. I wanted to tell her what James said but I knew she would be angry at me for blowing up at him and after what happened earlier that day, it would only ruin our weekend. James was my worst nightmare about being away on tour. He was the perfect guy I knew would come around at her school. I knew it was going to happen and now it would always be a concern. I thought about asking her to stay away from him but she would be hurt, thinking that I didn't trust her. I just didn't trust him. I also didn't want to be controlling. It's not like I could say much since I was away all the time. That wasn't her fault, so why should I forbid her from being around her new friends? I looked up again and Piper was approaching me in her revealing, but classy, sailor costume. She was so sexy and I was pretty sure she still wasn't wearing any underwear.