Chapter 30

Liberty

I paced back and forth through the waiting room . I felt anxious and lightheaded as i waited on the news on Aj . Im hating myself for even leaving her home by herself . This happened too many times just because of my absence . I couldve protected her . I couldve made sure that no harm would come to her again .

I finally found the strenght to sit but then i stood up again and started pacing the floor . Too much have been happening to me and im not sure how to control my emotions . Im trying my hardest believe me .

"Are you nervous?" I paused to look at this pretty little girl that was only knee high . She had two puff balls on her head and her eyes were oval shaped and brown . It went along with her caramel skin . She was truly gorgeous .

"Yea a little." I nervously chuckled .

"Its going to okay. Why are you nervous?" She asks in her tiny voice .

"My cousin umm .. is sick." I told her .

"My mommy is sick too . The doctors said that she wont make it. My grandma is over there." She points to a heavy set woman that was against the wall crying her eyes out . A man was trying to comfort her but its evident that it wasnt working.

"Im sorry to hear that." I cleared my throat . I was hoping it wouldnt be me crying like that when the doctor comes out .

"You look like someone i know." She saids as she looks into my eyes .

"Really?" I said as i sat next to her .

"Yea . Yall have the same eyes and hair. I never met her but I seen pictures of her." She picks up a piece of my loose curls . "My dad calls her Blessing."

"B-Blessing? Thats pretty . My people used to call me that." I twisted my ring finger .

"Whats your name?" She leaps from her seat and stands in front of me.

"Liberty." I smirked. "What about you?"

"Zarai." She saids sweetly .

"Hey daddy . I want a baby sister." I told him as he passes me another blunt as he calls it .

He lays his money on the table and gives me his attention ."Okay . What you want her name to be?"

"Zarai." I smiled .

He chuckles . "Sounds like Safari. How you spell it?"

"Z-a-r-a-i." I cheesed .

"Alright when you get a baby sister I will name her Zarai."

"Promise?" I stuck out my pinky finger .

"I promise." He connects his pinky with mine.

"Zarai huh?" I nodded as i reminisce on that time . "Thats a very , very pretty name." I felt myself getting emotional .

"Come on Zar . Its time to go." I felt my body tense up as a deep patronizing voice stands to the side of me . I felt his eyes on me .

"Hey daddy . I met a new friend . Her name is Liberty." She runs to him and points to me .

"Liberty." I heard him mumble . I finally gained enough courage to look his way and there he stood . My very own father .

"Daddy yall look alike." Zarai giggles . Nothing about him changed over the years . He had the same features , doesnt even seem like he aged at all .

Tears swelled in my eyes as i looked at him . I had so many mixed emotions . I wanted to cry , scream , hug him , kill him , and all . He stared at me with pure amazement and guilt . Just when he opened his mouth to speak , Aj's doctor came out .