<> 6 <>

November 5th, 9:47 am
District Courthouse - Defendant Lobby no. 1

Jitters were uncommon for Edgeworth. It was always so easy in court. He had always been a prosecutor with a plan, but now he sat, bidding his time and waiting for Sabrina to show up. He had decided on the previous day not to go and find Julia and Kaitlin, after having to send police officers out into the crowd of protesters who had decided to brooch upon the detention center. It was simply too overwhelming to him. He needed alliances, but he wouldn't conform to the wishes of Sabrina. He couldn't believe for a moment that he wouldn't win the bail hearing, even if Sabrina had quasi-proven to him that she had the power of foresight. He had debated it with himself all afternoon as he tried to get access to the crime scene. However, somehow it seemed impossible to investigate. He didn't know why either; his mind was just too distracted.

"Calm down. You're shaking. Just breathe and you'll be fine," said Sabrina as a pair of bailiffs dragged her into the room.

Edgeworth stared at her. "I'm not shaking."

"Don't let your stupid pride get in the way. Now is the time to compose yourself. First impressions are key. Our first day together should have told you that," Sabrina exclaimed while crashing in the sofa.

Edgeworth said, starting to pace, "It's easier said than done."

"Then be proud of yourself, " Sabrina countered.

"How?" Edgeworth asked. "There's no point to it. I'm not doing anything but going to court."

"Ah, but you are," Sabrina said. "Otherwise you wouldn't be so nervous. Fact of the matter is, you're facing your fear. Waltzing in willingly while knowing you're going to lose makes a difference."

"There's nothing at stake though," Edgeworth commented.

Sabrina raised an eyebrow. "Isn't there though? You're awfully nervous not to have a personal stake."

"Quit playing with my head. I have a trial to conduct," Edgeworth said.

Sabrina retorted, "I'm not messing with your head. I'm just telling you to let go of your pride. It will hinder you. You have no space to disappoint me. The outcome of this is too major to change. Just stay calm. Don't show any weakness to the prosecutor."

"Thank you," he muttered.

Sabrina nodded her head. "Your father would be proud."

They stared at each other for a moment. Edgeworth flinched, but didn't feel angry. Sabrina was earnest and her bloody eyes shined a ruby red despite the grim nature of her sentence. Her lips held the ghost of a hopeful smile which made a small smirk quirk on Edgeworth's in a mirroring motion.

A bailiff came in and subsequently shouted, "Could the defendant and her lawyer please enter the courtroom!"

The moment of comfort Edgeworth had faded within an instant, as he was anxious to see who the prosecutor for the case was. Sabrina was silent save for the clinking of metal that bound her wrists. He cracked his knuckles and looked at his watch. Edgeworth became aware of the ominous drone of clicking footsteps that echoed through the empty hall. As they approached the court room the chattering of crowds was like the mutterings of a jury, all with their eyes trained to judge the pair that crept down the hallway. He heard the whispers and mutterings of rumors that chilled his spine. His hands shook once again and his chest felt vulnerable.

Inside the courtroom the judge sat there, waiting, as Edgeworth and Sabrina entered first. The prosecution was nowhere to be seen. His attention was only on Sabrina's giant green cuff links that glowed against the table. She cracked her hands while baging them together and then folded them. Her gaze was trained to the front. Edgeworth did the same, feeling a bit childish for looking about.