<> 30 <>

November 19th, 9:01 am
Saffron City Detention Center

Edgeworth hid behind the door to Sabrina's room. He had come right at opening time because he figured this was his only option—she was his only option. His breaths came out like unproportionate gears grinding together, as if he were in a stick shift and he didn't hit the clutch right before changing gears. He folded his hands together, rigid, while trying to decide whether to stretch or not. His pulse beat like how the impetuous sleet rained on the roof of the building, random in every sense of way.

His hand clenched the doorknob. A moment of doubt and wonder crossed his mind as he tried to repel the questions. Immediately he began to think of the last day. Stressed phone calls and talks with the police had been the prelude to the rough sobbings of Kaitlin and himself. It seemed as though Julia had disappeared with a journalist, whom the receptionist of the police department could not remember the name nor appearance of. They had been asked question upon question, and all the while the paper in his pocket sat heavier and heavier as if it would soon become the weight of the world. The burden behind the thought of both disappearances—Agent Hart's and Julia's—felt once again like the brutal death of betrayal that he had faced last time he stood in the same detention center. This time though, Sabrina would tell Edgeworth what he needed to know to find the answers. That much he would make absolute.

A deep, shaky breath, as if he were blowing out smoke resonated through his lips. He looked through the two-way mirror. No doubt existed within him that she knew he was there and was watching him. He decided not to beat around the bush. One way or another he would have to get an answer out of her. He opened the door, hands trembling like the earthquakes he was so scared of. Pulling out a folding chair, he sat across from her and waited. She said nothing, simply staring at him with blank eyes. Their red shade looked pained and he wondered if she was thinking of what he was—the moment when Wright died and she held in in her arms.

He cleared his throat. She continued to say nothing. Not knowing what to do with himself he flexed his hands a lot, and he found them straightening his hair upon occasion. His sleeves seemed to be out of order, and so he straightened their cufflinks. She continued to sit in silence, so he rubbed his neck and waited.

After what seemed to be a good five minutes, she began, "You are should not be anxious for this meeting. After all, you were the one who walked out."

"It's hard to see you again," he said, knowing that he could not lie.

She closed her eyes and stood up. "Touché, Edgeworth."

"Julia's gone missing," he said, trying to steer the conversation in his own direction. He couldn't spend the time debating his fractured relationship with Sabrina.

She shook her head and chuckled. "Do not go gentle into that good night—"

"I don't have time for this!" Edgeworth snapped.

"—old age should burn and rave at the close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light," she finished.

"We don't have time for poetry Sabrina!" Edgeworth screamed.

She turned around, crimson eyes gleaming in defiance. Edgeworth's breath caught in his throat. That look bothered him.

"Rest in peace, Julia," she said as she turned around again.

His heart stopped and tears pricked his eyes. "How could you say such with no remorse?!"

"You said we don't have time for such things," Sabrina retorted.

Edgeworth stood up. "How does she die!"

"How should I know? You wouldn't believe me, even if the vision is a reality," she said.